Professional feeds/software (i.e. Bloomberg, Reuters, CQG)?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by MarketWatcher, Jul 10, 2003.

1. MarketWatcher

On the Level II window, select from the SITE menu:
    SITE--> ISLAND ...
    or
    SITE--> Archipelago...
    or
    SITE--> Ameritrade NASDAQ Level II

You cannot move the columns on the L II window. As for the overlap of the font buttons, only happens if you have the window is sized very narrow.

I like the MM column in the middle. The pencil (?) and "V" buttons overlap the font size buttons on the T&S window. I'm not sure if this is a result of my use of large fonts.
    The numerical columns are aligned so the periods in the numbers line up
    Since you said that you are mainly looking for quotes, here are a handful of highlights pertinent to that:
    * You can track 80 L I symbols instead of 40 limit for Apex users (different limits for other sources)
    * You can have as many L II windows open as you want
    * News notification right on the quote screen
    * 5 day intraday charts (2 if not registered) with tech indicators, trend lines, etc.
    * TICK Chart too.
    QuoteTracker is compatible with large fonts for the most part. We have found a couple of places that need cleaning up and will be doing that in the upcoming versions.
    SYMBOL is a locked column and is purposely made to stand out. Its color cannot be changed
    Go to OPTIONS/Edit Preferences menu. Click on MISC tab. You will find options for:
    Highlight Daily Lows
    Highlight Daily Highs
    Dynamic Bid/Ask Highlight
    Solid Highlights

Those are the ones that you would want to change

Jerry Medved
    http://www.quotetracker.com

#21     Jul 11, 2003
  2. The quality of the feed is relative to the price; with the edge in the plus $5K feeds ...

#22     Jul 11, 2003
  3. I have never traded from home, so maybe I am the wrong guy to be poking my nose in this thread. However I do know that if you are trading in lots of 10k-20k , then the cost of your feed and platform should not be a concern.

I have pretty much always used Reuters. I have Reuters on my desk and there is a Bloomberg terminal available to me in the office I work in, It is shared by all of us.

I don't pay for any of it (directly) so I am not sure of the costs. But at one time, I did see the Reuters bills when I worked as a Market Maker on the CBOE. We paid $900 a month then. I am guessing it is less now, although it's just a guess. The Reuters terminal we had then was called a Shwartzatron (not sure of the spelling), and it did a lot more than the Reuters terminal I have now (it did option plotting). . And that expense included a PC. And in those days, (late 80's, early 90's) PC's were expensive. A 386 with a math co-processor, which is what Rueters gave us at that time were selling for over $6k.

Today's Rueters terminal runs on any cheap PC, so I guess that you can use your own, unlike the Scwartzatron. But for quotes, charting and news, it's excellent.

Keep in mind also that what was Quotron has been bought by Reuters. And unless things have changed since I was last on the floor, the exchanges themselves used Quotron for quote dissemination.

As far as the Bloomberg terminal, I have never become familiar with it. As a daytrader, if something is not right in front of me, it is not of much use. But I know the news feed is touted as being superior to the Rueters I have (which not only gives me Reuters news, but Dow Jones news as well).

I think Bloomberg is around a thousand dollars or so a month. So if news is very important to you, or any of the features you will find to be unique to Bloomberg are valuable to you, then certainly having BOTH Reuters (with Reuters and Dow Jones news services) AND Bloomberg, the combined cost should be insignificant. If having both (which seems like overkill) and the cost is even $3k per month (I think it would be less), if you are trading the kind of size you are talking about, then one 20k share trade in which you make just 15 cents will cover the expense.

As far as order entry, here I can give no advice. I use Redi Plus, but don't like it. But because we trade through SLK, I have been pretty much stuck with it. But your order entry doesn't seem to be your big concern.

Fifteen cents!. One trade! Get whatever you think you may need. It is insignificant relative to your trades. You WILL have 15 cent winners and 15 cent losers. And besides, if you find you don't need that much technology, you can always dump it. It just seems like you are being penny wise and pound foolish if you are trading that kind of size and worrying about how much you can save on equipment you think you need.

Peace,
    :)RS

#23     Jul 11, 2003
  4. fabrizio

fabrizio

Gentlemen

I Trade pro since years and for time I spent a great amount of MONEY on CQG and ADVANCED GET since I consiedered them the most Pro feeder, platform and Soft available around. And I do not trade from Home as well , since I have two offices in Turin and Milan to follow my trading activity. I'm Not the best around, but I'm taking this pretty seriously because my professional attitude coming from my experience as former CEO and Director of multinationals Corporations.

Now I'v SWITCHED TO ESIGNAL AND ADVANCED GET Integrated and let me tell you honestly speaking that what ESIGNAL ADVANCED GET intehgrated release 7.4 build 606 and even more the upcoming release 8 are THE PROFESSIONAL SOLUTION for the trader.

I did not step down from a " Bentley" to get into a "2cv citroen "
    The reversal:I got the robustness of the German cars and all the classy and update elctronics and performance of a new 760 BMW or 4X4 600 v12 MB series S

The difference is that to have a decent configuration in CQG you must spend 2500 EUROS ( not Dollars, Euros) and you still have malfunction and -what is msot important- a CLOSE , SEGREGATED SYSTEM not open to any news and upgrading.

As a former CQG contributor I can esaily make confrontation:

A) DATA:
    IDC is a powerfull group with power in capital expenditure. So said with the comstok data corp acquisition ESIGNAL has by far the highest potential in Data feed WORLDWIDE.

B) INTEGRATION AND STRATEGIC ALLIANCES:
    with the acquisition and integration of TOM JOSEPH ADVANCED GET ESIGNAL has the Highets level of PRO integration on the Market; Honestly speaking the only High Level Study Missed so far ( but coming in a short TF I believe) is TOM DEMARK.

C) INTEGRATED TRADING:
    at the highets level, such a think that CQG do not have , or has is it with OTTO: but actually impossible to pursue.

D) MARKET PROFILE:
    the market profile is improving day by day on the philosophy of Mr. Steidlmayer ( who invented it ), triyng to became the new benchmark on the market. Only Aspen Graphics at the Time Being has a really state of the art MP. They are going Towards that direction.

E) OPEN SOURCE FOR STUDY DEVELOPMENT:
    the proprietary EFS java script language - yet under improvements- give to ESIGNAL the unlimited possibility to elaborate ANY KIND OF STUDY, OSCILLATOR, STRATEGY, BT, etc you can imagine. The Wizard help for the basics allowing ANYONE to develop IMMEDIATLY with a serious not macro like language (like in CQG) a oscillator or an indicator or whatever. This is the name of the Game: be Open to the world and let others developers develop for you . This is happening RIGHT NOW , it is reality with more than 500 study already developed plus all the particulars custom made for clients. The community in esignal central count wiz like Brad Metheny, Chris Chrizya, other tahn the central staff support of Esignal wiz like , Alexis Montenegro (indipendent), Jason K, Jason F, and many others taht will:
    -at no cost help you and develop your study for you or fix your mistakes or help you in not "draw too much CPU" from your sys wit simple loops.
    -(when private companies) at a simbolic cost develop the study for you if turns out to be a really complicated one and expecially if it is a complicated strategy.

F)BACK TESTING:
    ESIGNAL HAS a good backtesting system integrated: they are working with different teams in order to Outcome the TS and best competitors back testing sistems . This will happen By new beta releases ( one every 20 days)and finally with the 8.0 (due probably september/October this year ).

G)NEWS:
    all the news available around are in ESIGNAL. Integrated. With Alarms and selectable from Market quote. Not like in CQG were yoiu pay 250 USD for just a scroll down of an enormous number of data that you actually cannot track while are trading-...

Market quote, Market watch, Market leaders................all in

H)CUSTOMER SUPPORT:
    great and if you are a pro (or not a pro )and need something particular or you spot something "missed" , post it on the community and some wonderfull Senior engenieer or the top product manager will directly answer to you and discuss with you about the feasibility of what you asking. And much likely or you got it via EFS in ONE day ( free) or (if structural to the platform)you got it in the following BETA release.

Sometimes- if you are a GET fan- you have the chance to discuss via forum with Mr. Tom Joseph himself and pose him questions..... or with Mr. Chuck Thompson , The CEO of Esignal AGET ......

I surely forgot important things like spread calculation , tick charts with all the study and strategies applicables, costant volume bars, costant ticks bars, renko, PF, Kagy charts , Tick Playback where you can reproduce tick by tick the behave of a future or a stock at the speed you like, or a traategy , or a signal evaluation.................All in

All this is done :
    With an incredible sense of urgency and of excellence. And having US in mind. Because , most of the people under he development ARE traders themselves and UNDERSTAND what a TRADER needs are.

Ask this to CQG, or REUTERS, OR BLOOMBERG and let me know ( I'm still here waiting for Jan Arps or Jurik studies to be implemented in CQG : and nobody, nobody, nobody knows when will it happen.)

Once more : If you pay 2.5 grands a month for a system you pretend NO MISTAKE AT ALL. I personally had a repeated malfunction in cqg with NO alert AT; all that made loose about 2.5 k $ (not big deal I know) on the S&P because I discovered taht the system was late of 15.000 packets, rougly 20 minutes of diffrenece from the real world and the CQG Charts. Th whole story is recorded on a CD and available to anyone that will require it.

Not mentioning the fact that ESIG support is 24 hrs open.....so if you are in position on currency FX at 2 AM who helps YOU?

I do not work for Esig. I'm just a simple customer who pays for the services that Esignal deliver to me. If you are a PRO The money saved it is not big issue: you know what I mean;. But have a relaible sys evoluiyng every single day and seeing that "all the windows are open" that makes the difference

But I MUST STRESS the overall incredible startegy that this IDC group and its controlled companies are pursuing: in less than a year they are becoming the most interesting platform around with solid rock data and all the rest aroun ( included the mistakes and the failure they experienced: nothing and nobody is perfect).

With all respect to TS ( the new 7.0 is really good, but still limited in some way) and CQG.
    So my fellow traders, take a look to ESIGNAL site they can offer you PRO LEVEL SOLUTIONS that - actually - nor CQG neither Bloomberg or reuters can - as a whole .

Thanks for the attention

Fabrizio

#24     Jul 11, 2003
  5. FinStat

FinStat

the fact that you are a poser has nothing to do with your time on this board and everything to do with the content of your posts.

this board is entertainment only aside from some good computer info. and you, my little ameritrade friend, are very entertaining. keep up the good work.

:eek:

#25     Jul 11, 2003
  6. Thanks for the info. I don't think I stated anything about saving on equipment. I simply asked how much the professional quote systems run because the prices aren't listed on the websites and I wanted to have a figure before I called. I don't always trade that kind of size, but when I do it is important to factor in commissions (all things being equal). In other words, IB is not ideal for my trading style.

#26     Jul 11, 2003
  7. Realtick doesn't offer quotes on foreign stocks and futures.

#27     Jul 11, 2003
  8. fabrizio

fabrizio

Do Not wanna talk bad of anybody but try to be seriuous: Real Tick is the "middleage " of data feed and no way at the level for a professional. They had the market in hand once , but as often happens they let it go ......sorry for them.

Ok i thought we were talking about pro stuff.....I mean I have nothing against you are using RT, if you are happy fine (there were people happy with the PACER , or the CORVAIR you remeber it?) or people that consider a BUELL not an HARLEY......... but here we talking about the highets level of Tech, and people who INVESTS and let me stress on INVESTS big bucks in people, research, SERVERS, M&A, .......

Someone takes the annual reports of some of the Corp. mentioned and let's take a look to the results ......I guess that would be a nice execrsise. (First you have to be able to find it.....CQG would never ever release it , but with a little time you'll got it.)

Beside that I have respect for everyone brand (because I'm owner of different soft) and peacefully I do not want to offend no one with my personal Ideas.

Cordially

#28     Jul 11, 2003
  9. msfe

msfe

#29     Jul 11, 2003
  10. Bloomberg is about $2000 per month. CQG is about $800 per month. Anybody know how much does Reuters cost?

#30     Jul 11, 2003