Professional ES system needed

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by StefanB, Jul 2, 2003.

1. No offense Satyrican, but if a horrible system sells for $100, then they up the price to $1000, by your logic, it's now worthy for the "consumer"??? Price DOES NOT sort out the lemons from the quality in any situation. Quality, performance, service and reputation speak louder than any scam that you're talking about. The only reason that I continue to use the systems currently in my portfolio is becasue I know the methodology behind the systems (even if it is undisclosed) and I have a good feeling about the developer and have developed (no pun intended) a good relationship with them.

#11     Jul 10, 2003
  2. jaan

jaan

FWIW, i don't think your logic is entirely sound. it does not directly matter how much daily volume there is in the stock your system trades. instead, what matters is how much volume there is on the other side of your trades as they happen.

so, if your system emits a signal, and your clients rush to buy/sell MSFT @ mkt, it's not entirely inconceivable that they would move the ask/bid prices enough to ruin the system expectancy over long term.

and MSFT is an extreme example -- 99% of stocks have nowhere near the volume of MSFT. hence, they could be moved much more easily.

- jaan

#12     Jul 10, 2003
  3. FinStat

FinStat

has anyone ever dealt with a trader who was consistently profitable with a system they purchased.

i've never heard of or seen this happen.

if someone has direct knowledge of such a thing, please share it.

#13     Jul 10, 2003
  4. Anyone find it funny that the staunch supporters of buying trade systems are the one trying to sell it?:eek:

Anyone also find it funny that most site that do sell systems sell MORE than ONe?

On average most sell six or more on the same securities (ex.ES).

#14     Jul 10, 2003
  5. Take an economic class for pete sake. Price is a reflection of Value. Is it perfect? Of course not, but price is the guiding light.

Price DO sort out the lemons. What theory are you prescribing to???? Ever heard of a thing called common sense and supply and demand?

Would you buy a rental propery for $40,000? NO.
    Would you buy a Benz for $20,000? NO.
    Would you buy a system for mere change? NO.

#15     Jul 10, 2003
  6. That's a good solution. Unfortunately most only give you a 30 day trial. Considering that if you use the system for 3-5 years, what happen if during that 30 day trial we're in the mists of a trending period??

P.S. Anyone care to explain why the number of systems on the market NOW is greater than it was during the BOOM?

Buyer Beware

#16     Jul 10, 2003
  7. nitro

nitro

You needed a system to tell you stocks like Amazon were 3000% overvalued, and that if the market dipped, buy and sell higher on every conceivable stock on the NAZ?

nitro :confused:

#17     Jul 11, 2003
  8. I've had several complaints (and I agree), that pantherproject is touting a commercial service.

Pantherproject: Contact Baron for how to become an official commercial sponsor.

I will delete a few of the "offending" postings.

#18     Jul 11, 2003
  9. From Satyrican: "Take an economic class for pete sake. Price is a reflection of Value. Is it perfect? Of course not, but price is the guiding light.

Price DO sort out the lemons. What theory are you prescribing to???? Ever heard of a thing called common sense and supply and demand?

Would you buy a rental propery for $40,000? NO.
    Would you buy a Benz for $20,000? NO.
    Would you buy a system for mere change? NO."

Satyrican, don't you think that the loser system developers know this, and that is why they charge so much for suckers like you who have probably bought said systems? Get real and know who you're dealing with before wasting your money. Even better, go buy a Benz for $200,000 - I'm sure that the dealership would love to hear that you always pay more for value, they'd really appreciate your generosity.

Also, I think that most times that developers sell more than one system is for diversification. There are so many times that I am long on one system and short on a few others, so there's plenty of hedging going on. It lessens the overall drawdown across your account.

#19     Jul 11, 2003
  10. You have absolute ZERO idea of economics.

#1 concept in Economics - supply and demand dictate prices. There will be DEVIATION, but that's not the NORM.
    Ask yourself this ... if you're selling a product while would you CHARGE less than what' it is worth???????? In other words, price is a good (but not a perfect) proxy for VALUE.

Considering that the demand for such a product is pretty inelastic, you would NOT observe economie of scale!

Diversificiation ---> bullshit. If you combine all systems you would have an ultimate system.

For simplicity sake, assume they have seven systems. If you bought all seven systems...

Your chance of having a down day is <b>2.4%.</b> (For those who want to check this use the binomial expansion). And this is assuming that the risk ratio is 1 to 1, and the hit rate is at 55%! In other words, in a conservative world, you would make money 97.6% of hte time.

#20     Jul 11, 2003