Professional data feed for personal account

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by Maverick2608, May 25, 2020.

1. A corporation of course has to pay for professional data feed.

In the old days I’m quite sure you did not have to pay professional data feed for your personal account if you had a corporate account that only invested your own funds.

Has that changed?

2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

I can't speak for the old days, as I'm not sure when the exchanges even started to charge for real-time market data. Today, they deem market data as a profit center. The Professional Market Data feed is the standard. If you want the Non-Professional exemption, you have to fill out the non-pro questionnaire and qualify. E.G. This is from NASDAQ. "All non-professional subscribers of a Distributor or Client Organization must submit this form to NASDAQ OMX to qualify for Non-Professional rates." The NYSE and NASDAQ only offer Non-Professional rates to any natural person who receives market data solely for his/her personal, nonbusiness use and who is not a “Securities Professional.” That means all entities pay Professional Market Data fees. Even Trusts are not a natural person and do not get non-pro rates.

3. southall

southall

For futures CME link below seems to suggest a small corporate account (trading own funds) is not classed as professional for data fees.

However IB did not seem to care or cant be bothered to differentiate between different exchange rules. If you have a corporate account then you are subject to pro fees.

https://www.cmegroup.com/market-dat...it-a-to-schedule-4-non-pro-self-cert-form.pdf

4. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Correct. We use that sheet for most of our futures platforms. But notice that Professional is still the standard and you must qualify to get Non-pro. Not the other way around.

5. maxinger

maxinger

worse, I have to pay data fee

for the various trading platforms
    AND
    for charting software

qlai likes this.
  6. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

7. maxinger

maxinger

8. I am sorry if I was unclear.

The corporation investing only my personal funds of course has to pay for the professional data feed.

I am uncertain whether my personal account in addition will be charged professional data feed, if I for tax reasons set up a corporation to invest some of my funds through that vehicle.

9. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

That would be up to your broker, how you log in and their data provider.

Maverick2608 likes this.
  10. southall

southall

With IB I have to self certify once a year that my personal account data feed wont be used for other purposes. They popup a web form.

#10     May 25, 2020
    Maverick2608 likes this.