Problems with my ENTRY indicators

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by jimclark, Dec 13, 2006.

1. TrendPro

TrendPro

I agree with HolyGrail, the initial scan of the weekly time frame is picking up the existing strength of the daily trend, in hindsight.

And as you are discovering, rarely will the market provide a convenient pullback for entry on the daily time frame within a strong impulse trend move.

You need a scan that will identify the impulse price move closer to it's inception. Then use the weekly as the master time frame for pattern validation and signal confirmation.

#11     Dec 14, 2006
  2. BENG

BENG

You just need to do a rolling 5 days scan, instead of weekly Monday to Friday scan. I doubt StockCharts.com can do that.

#12     Dec 14, 2006
  3. Hi Jimclark,

I keep a list (Microsoft Works or Excel spreadsheet) of stock symbols that appear on my scan. Occasionally I examine the indicators and charts to learn if my buy rules are met.

#13     Dec 14, 2006
  4. Well, I do the same...currently my Excel is 2,850 (11MB) lines long, I've been documenting everything since April 2004 and I do revisit these on ocation plus I rarely remove anything from my QouteTracker screen.

#14     Dec 14, 2006
  5. rolling 5 days scan???

#15     Dec 14, 2006
  6. Try scanning for a bozo bar (marubozo) that cuts through a shortish MA. If you use volume bars, even better.

LC

#16     Dec 14, 2006
  7. BENG

BENG

Instead of doing weekly scan from Mon to Fri, you do it in this order daily:

Mon-Fri
    Tues-Mon
    Wed-Tues
    Thurs-Wed
    Fri-Thurs
    Mon-Fri
    etc.

rolling 5 days = moving weekly scan on a daily basis.

#17     Dec 14, 2006
  8. I posed the question to StockCharts.com to see if it's possible. I don't see the option in StockCharts.com's scanning menu.

#18     Dec 14, 2006