Problems with Guantanamo

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Cutten, Jul 7, 2008.

1. bstay

bstay

This Quantanamo detention is already practiced in Malaysia and Singapore since 1960s .... nothing new:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_Security_Act_(Malaysia)

The Internal Security Act 1960 (ISA) is a preventive detention law in force in Malaysia. The legislation was inherited by Malaysia after it gained independence from Britain in 1957. In essence, it allows for the arrest of any person without the need for trial in certain defined circumstances. Malaysia is one of the few countries in the world whose Constitution allows for preventive detention during peacetime without safeguards that elsewhere are understood to be basic requirements for protecting fundamental human rights.

#11     Jul 8, 2008
  2. It's a sad day where intelligent people are comparing the United States and Malaysia.

#12     Jul 8, 2008
  3. maxpi

maxpi

These looney judges and lawyers are way more capable of destroying the country than the Taliban... that's my main reason to not even think of voting for Obama, it will be the fourth term of Roosevelt regarding the judiciary in the US.. it's almost tipped entirely to looniness as it is, the recent gun rights decision was only 5 to 4!! That is really scary, one judge away from disarming the US citizenry!!

#13     Jul 8, 2008
  4. I read the article. Here's the part I noticed : "The worst the government could say about Parhat was that in 2001 he lived in an Afghan camp run by a leader of a Uighur independence group who trained him in weapons.

That group, the East Turkistan Islamic Movement, may or may not associate with al-Qaeda and the Taliban, which Parhat may or may not have realized because there's no evidence he's a member of the group, anyway, the government acknowledged. "

I found it chilling that the author thought it would be a good idea to release these guys into the US. I don't know if you agree with her or not, since you don't have any suggestions, only over the top criticism of people who face an impossible situation and are trying their best to protect us.

Notice the standards used by the court. The government proved and this guy apparently conceded he went to afghanistan and trained at a terrorist camp. That wasn't good enough for the court. Apparently they wanted documentary evidence that he was a card-carrying member of the group and that he had some plan to attack the US. You are just never going to be able to produce that detailed a level of proof in these cases, except in unusual situations, like maybe bin Ladin's driver. Oh wait, they want to turn him loose too. Maybe if the government turned over all their secret intell and caused our few agents in place to be tortured and killed, then the court would be happy.

#14     Jul 8, 2008