Problems with Esignal

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by AngryBull, Aug 6, 2003.

1. cruiser

cruiser

agree with Rudolf you must have card designed for Multi-monitors, have run a Dell for over a year with combo Nvidia GForce & Matrox G200MM running 5-monitors...36+charts,,L2, several T&S, & quote boxs never a problem......Matrox on E-Bay new --$260.00 FYI

#11     Aug 6, 2003
  2. First off, I have been using graphics cards with 64mb of RAM and MX-440 GeForce 4 NVidia chipsets on an XP-Pro operating system.

Secondly, I really don't think that the graphics cards are an issue with this specific connection problem.

My problem with E-Signal is something that most likely has to do with the internet superhighway and a transfer HOP that is operated by SBC ( of whom E-Signal is a customer of ) that is suffering from 100% packet-loss.

From what I understand, E-Signal is a client of SBC, thus they should be exploring a solution to this problem with SBC. Unfortunately to this day, I have not heard any feedback whatsoever regarding whether or not SBC has been able to fix this Transfer Hop.

Moreover, I WAS THE ONE that was able to identify which telecom company operated the Transfer Hop in question via my Cable Provider ( COMCAST ) after initiating a trouble-ticket. This new info was passed on to E-Signal over a month ago. Yet, I have not heard any feedback whatsoever from E-Signal as to whether or not SBC has fixed this specific Transfer Hop.

Earlier this week I forwarded a copy of the charting "files" from my hard-drive to E-Signal so that they can try to "replicate" my exact system with the specific trading platform that I use in an effort to try and troubleshoot this issue. Yet, has been an "exploratory" process that has been going on for 2 full months now.

My advice is that if you cannot get a real-time trading/charting platform to run error-free with making only minor "adjustments" then it just isn't meant to be. Going on "Treasure Hunts" with technical support staff is not recommended.

#12     Aug 6, 2003
  3. AngryBull - when you say your screens "freeze", do you mean that everything on your computer works normally but the charts just aren't updating (but you can still move windows, etc.) or that your whole computer freezes?

If it's just that the charts stop updating but the computer works fine, then you're probably losing the connection to their server or their server is bugging out and stops feeding your data.

If your PC itself is freezing, then it's most likely some kind of graphics card device driver problem. I've used a bunch of Dells for years, but you should be aware, that they NEVER came from the factory with the very latest graphics card device drivers. They ghost the disks and they don't seem to keep them completely up to date. Go to your graphics card manufacturer website and make sure you have their very latest device driver installed. Just because you've got a new computer, don't expect all the current patches and drivers to be installed.

Good luck.

#13     Aug 6, 2003
  4. While I totally agree that you shouldn't be on a "treasure hunt", the problem is it can happen with anyone. My experience in many ways was exactly like yours, only it was with Realtick. The moral is: we're not dealing with an exact science and a vendor simply isn't going to spend endless hours sorting a unique problem that is faced by a single user. I found it a lot less stressful just to move on. I went from realtick to esignal. Maybe for you the other way around might be a good choice.

#14     Aug 6, 2003
  5. waggie - you actually think esignal has ANY clout with SBC just because they're a customer of SBC's?

Those guys are worse than most government agencies. I bailed on my SBC internet connection because they were such a pain in the butt to deal with - switched to a different provider (turned out to be faster and cheaper).

If one of SBC's switches/routers is malfunctioning and losing traffic, esignal isn't going to have any leverage to force them to fix it and if you're expecting SBC to feed back progress info to esignal, you're dreaming.

#15     Aug 6, 2003
  6. Lancer

Lancer

waggie, it's not REALTIC or REAL-TIC, it's RealTick. For those that only want basic charting (no formula language, no data save/playback, bare-bones functionality, and very minimal and infrequent improvements), RealTick is just fine, but RealTick charting is in the stone-ages compared to eSignal. I run them both; (Colorgraphic 4-monitor video cards). In my case, I see RealTick server disconnects every day (global refresh, lol), and none of those problems with eSignal. eSignal server connections have always been real durable. No complaints here.

#16     Aug 6, 2003
  7. First off, you don't have to tell me that SBC is a total nightmare!

At 14,000 feet from my local switching station, I was only able to get a speed of 650k out of SBC's DSL. Moreover, their role-out and support of the service consisted of paying a bunch of Level 1 support guys back at a Tennessee Call Center minimum wage to read answers off of "scripts" . . . In many cases, SBC has no idea what their DSL Division ( AIS ) is up to, and vice-versa. It's absolutely horrible. SBC is a total joke!

I even ate the $200 early termination penalty to switch over to AT&T Broadband ( now COMCAST ). My only regret is that they were not in my neighborhood just yet, and I was captive to SBC for a few months until COMCAST got up and running. Now, I am running at a download speed of 1740k and upload of 255k.

Now, as for REALTICK ( didn't know I was being graded on "trademark" spelling ) I have had no problems with them at all. What is even more bizarre is the fact that I live in the San Franisco Bay Area and I am less than 40 miles as the crow flies from DBC's main headquarters; I have no idea where their server farms are, but they obviously have no control over an SBC transfer HOP. Thus, I do not hold them accountable for this. That would be unfair.

However, I guess it would be too much to ask for a charting/quotation company like E-Signal to run "beta" tests on various popular trading platforms.

Everyone knows that the quickest execution platform out there is HAMMER from ASSENT. But everyone who uses HAMMER also knows that the charting is from the Ice Ages, like 1985 Quotron Days. As a result, anyone who runs HAMMER also goes out and gets E-Signal or RealTick. It's that simple.

Granted, this is still a "cottage" industry much the same way that the motorcycle industry is and there is a lot of trial and error that goes on, unfortunately.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming where I see that THE TERMINATOR is now trying to follow in the footsteps of a previous "actor" and run for the Governor of the State of California!

Oh my.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...7/ts_nm/politics_california_schwarzenegger_dc

#17     Aug 6, 2003
  8. From "True Lies"

Jamie Lee Curtiss - "So have you ever had to kill anyone?"

Arnold - "YES, but they were all BAD!"

One of my favorite lines from an Arnold movie!!! :D

#18     Aug 6, 2003