problems with dual monitor hook up...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kraft84, Dec 27, 2003.

1. kraft84

kraft84

I have a Gateway computer running Windows 98 and want to add second monitor. I purchased ATI Rage Pro (8mg) video card but after installling the card , none of the monitors work. The instuctions that come with the card are of little help. Could someone be so kind and give me a step by step on the proper way to intall this second card. I am not very computer literate so...

Thanks for any assistance.

2. i have a newer windows os but i got a driver from driverguide.com. i downloaded s3 graphics prosavage ddr. if you have trouble still goto a local computer store pay them 30 or 40 bucks to do it.

goodluck

3. It's been a while since I've done this, so I don’t remember the exact steps involved. Based on what I remember: I bought another ATI card since that was the brand I already had in the computer - so it would work with the same video driver. I opened the case, plugged the new card into a free PCI slot and closed the case. When I booted Windows, it automatically recognized the card and I was off and running.

Some thoughts: You did buy a PCI card and not another AGP card right? If you plugged an AGP card into a PCI card slot (not sure thats even possible), it might cause those types of problems. Did you switch the old card that came with the computer down to a PCI slot and install the newer card in the AGP slot (again not sure thats even physically possible)? You might want to take a look at the bios and see what it is saying about the cards.

You may also want to take a look here to see if a setup like yours is listed as working well together.

Next, search the forums here at ET for information on dual monitors since the topic has been discussed extensively here before. If that doesn't work, do a search on Google about dual monitors and you will get lots of pages of tips.

4. gwnorth

gwnorth

still having problems if so get a hold of me and I will try to help. I currently use a Dell Dimension 4100 and put in a Nvidia MX440 dual head in the AGP slot replacing the original ATI card the Nvidia is analog only. when it was time to add a third and fourth monitor I went with the Matrox G450 dual which gave both analog and digital outputs. this card is a PCI slot. the trick was to find a card that was compatible with the Intel chip set used on the Nvidia. asked Matrox for compatability and they said no problem. so I use two Dell 18 Ultrasharps on the Matrox and every thing runs smooth together. when it is time to go quad most likely Matrox will be the choice. set up was easy and quick.

5. kowboy

kowboy

The Cd's that come with the card are sometimes outdated.

If you go to the Ati website, there will be current drivers you can download.

6. have you gone into properties, settings, and enabled the extra monitor? can you see the monitor in that box?
    you might have to go into the bios and change the video boot sequence if i remember right on those old gateways.

7. I had a nightmarish experience trying to use ati for multi-monitor applications. I highly recommend throwing in the towel and purchasing a Matrox card. :D

8. gnome

gnome

Your troubles with ATI are a bit of a perplex... I have 4 ATI card applications running on W98, Win2000, and WinXP systems...

9. Arnie

Arnie

I had a similar problem. I have a PIII 350 with Win98. Has an AGP card, added a PCI card. It saw the new monitor, but it wouldn't work (jumbled lines on original montior, nothing on new one). Here's what fixed it.

1. Boot up computer under "Safe Mode". Just tap your F8 key as it boots up.

2. Once in safe mode, go into My Computer, then Control Panel, then System.

3. Click "Device Manager" and you will see a list. Look for "Display adapters" and "Monitors".

4. Delete all of these. Plug in your cards, hook up your monitors and reboot. Your computer should see all the new hardware. You may need to update your drivers. One word of caution, this may not work if the cards are from different makers. Mine are both ATI.

Hope this helps