Problems Upgrading to TWS 851

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by Catoosa, Sep 12, 2005.

1. alanm

alanm

Quote from d9d:
    I couldn't find a function to set that page to always load positions upon startup.

You can't have it both ways. You can have a Portfolio page, which loads the symbols in some order that you can't save. Any changes you make (ordering, additional symbols, etc.) will be overwritten on re-login.

You can have other pages that contain and retain whatever symbols in whatever order you put them.

If you want to have your positions in a certain order and mixed with other tickers, you'll have to maintain the page manually.

#21     Sep 22, 2005
  2. d9d

d9d

I'm not sure what you mean by "both ways"....

I just want to be able to arrange the data-lines the way I want them; without them being reordered and deleted on me.

This is confusing the hell out of me because I was using 8.3x for 2 years, and never had a lick of trouble!

IBsoft responded that "Portfolio" was special; but didn't answer the question of how to get my positions into a "non special" page.

So let me come at it from another angle....

Say I create a page titled "Main". Now, how do I get my -existing- positions to load onto that page from the servers?

I cannot find any function to do that.

The page simply remains blank, even after restarting TWS; and reloading 'settings' doesn't do anything either.

I assume that positions are stored on the -servers-, not on my local hard disk.

If I can get these existing positions to load onto a new page just once; I think I'll be golden.

thanks! :)

#22     Sep 22, 2005
  3. d9d,

I think that if you simply enter, onto your newly created page, the ticker symbols corresponding to each of your positions, then the market data line this creates, for each symbol, will also display your position information for that symbol. You will be able to arrange these market data lines using whatever ordering and spacing you please. If you close out a position, the market data line will still remain, even though your position with respect to that symbol will be zero. Hope this helps. And by the way, I never intended to be "facetious", I was sincerely attempting to assist you at all times.

#23     Sep 22, 2005
  4. JackR

JackR

d9d:

I think you'll have to create your special page by hand. If you have a bunch of stocks if you enter the symbol and then hit the "Enter" key 3 times it will pull up the stock with a SMART default. Your other entires will require more pointing and clicking but the "enter" technique might save you some time.

I have a special day-trading page and it seems to hold the entries in order and with or without a position balance.

Good Luck,

Jack

#24     Sep 22, 2005
  5. d9d

d9d

I found it hard to believe that TWS was going to force me to type in 40 data-lines by hand, one by one; rather than providing a function to bring them all in from the server with one click.

oh well.

I think I did finally find a solution though.

I found that the right-click 'copy' and 'paste' will work between pages. I.e., copy from one, and paste on another.

I wish someone would've just suggested that 2 days ago... :D

Created a new page called "Main", and copied positions to it from "Portfolio", then added my zero-position 'reference' data-lines.

Shut-down, restart, and everything still looks OK. Crossing my fingers that the server-reset tonight will also leave it alone.

My next fear is doing the upgrade to 851.9; and whether that's going to wipe it out or not....coming up in a few minutes... :p

#25     Sep 22, 2005
  6. d9d

d9d

Jack, thanks for that 'enter' tip...didn't know abou that one. :)

#26     Sep 22, 2005