Problems Upgrading to TWS 851

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by Catoosa, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Holy cow, d9d, you are correct.

I clicked on the URL which I myself added, and it led to a thread totally different from the one I was trying to link. It appears to me that Alanm attempted to clean up this mess, but that his effort failed in similar fashion. I guess that neither I, nor Alanm, have figured out how to link a URL successfully. The thread you are looking for is entitled "Problems upgrading to TWS 851", and was started by Catoosa. Use the ET search function to find it. Do not confuse that thread with other very similarly titled threads addressing much the same problem.

#11     Sep 20, 2005
  2. I'm sorry, but what kind of broker...orders its users to upgrade and then doesn't provide the upgrade that works on all versions..Folks really? Think about it. Sorry I just could not keep my mouth shut..I know, I know IB is the greatest and all that...

The software people utilize you users with real money accounts as guinea pigs...

Really IB... you need a simulator to test your stuff on with those users first for several months...then offer the upgrade to real money accounts.

#12     Sep 20, 2005
  3. d9d

d9d

thanks Jim.....thought I was losing it or something.... :p

I did look through recent threads, and read the Catoosa thread, before I started my new one.

In looking through those threads, I have not yet found an answer to the unasked for auto-deletion and auto-reordering of data-lines.

#13     Sep 20, 2005
  4. D9d,

The reason you did not find, in the thread to which I referred, an answer to the issue you just mentioned, is because neither you nor anyone else previously raised that issue in this thread. I think I remember you raising that issue in another thread, but I checked and you never raised it in this thread. The thread to which I referred, in this thread, merely contains IB's confirmation of my hypothesis, that people are having extra problems upgrading from very old TWS versions, instead of more recent ones. You can minimize your problems by not leapfrogging TWS versions. Upgrade one version at a time, without skipping upgrades.

#14     Sep 21, 2005
  5. d9d

d9d

:p :p :p no thanks!

what a freaking nightmare -that- is.

nope...i had a totally stable platform for 2 years without 'upgrading'; and it did everything i needed. It is NOT the user's fault that IB didn't foresee the need to make a -mandated- 'upgrade' transfer properly from older versions.

on the main issue, the problem i've asked for help on has NOTHING to do with the upgrade process. As I stated, I did a fresh install of 851, and created a new page, and hand-entered all the data-lines.

The uwanted auto-delete and auto-reordering of data-lines is happening in this totally new installation.

#15     Sep 21, 2005
  6. D9d,

I never suggested that the user was to blame for the problems which result from leapfrogging TWS versions. I was trying to offer a partial solution to prevent problems, but I was not expressing any judgment about whether the user or IB was to blame. I agree that IB does need better quality control, but our agreement is not going to make IB change overnight, and since IB is the best, we need to find ways to work with the imperfections IB gives us.

You stated that your problem has nothing to do with the upgrade process. If this is true, then why you are discussing it in a thread entitled "Problems upgrading to TWS 851", and therefore apparently having nothing to do with your problem? Is it possible that you got this thread confused with the thread that you started? Is it possible you thought you were posting to your own thread, when in fact, you were posting to Catoosa's thread (this thread you are now reading)?

#16     Sep 21, 2005
  7. d9d

d9d

that sounds pretty facetious to me Jim; so i think i'll just end the conversation here.

if anyone else has an answer on how to stop the auto-reordering of datalines, and auto-deleting of zero-position datalines, i'd be grateful to hear it.

thanks! :)

#17     Sep 21, 2005
  8. alanm

alanm

d9d: A little brainstorming here...

Are you saying that you add market data lines for some stocks/futures/options, and that they then get deleted or sorted at some point? Is it just after the overnight reset, or does it happen if you log out and back in again? If it's just overnight, are you logging out before the reset, or letting it kick you off? What is Configure->Misc->Auto-logoff time set to?

You're definitely not doing Page->Sort Tickers, or pressing Alt-P-T (or having some key-macro software do it) at some point, right?

Is it just one page on which this is happening, or does it happen on multiple pages?

Have you tried File->Restore Settings to restore a previous day's settings?

How about, after you add all your data lines the way you want, choose File->Save Settings, and then make a copy the Settings.xml file, and try restoring it?

FWIW, this is not happening to me, or most people, or I'm sure we'd hear about it :)

#18     Sep 21, 2005
  9. d9d

d9d

howdy Alan, and thanks much for helping.

I did a completely new install of 8.51, downloaded last friday. I deleted the 'demo' page of stocks which first comes up. I then created a new page; but it did not load my positions from the server. Is there a specific command to set TWS to do this automatically on each start?

In any case, I deleted that page, then created one using the name "Portfolio" from the menu. This page -did- auto-load my existing positions from the IB server.

But of course, it loads them as one dense mass, jumbled up in no discernible order.

So I set about moving data-lines around to put them in the order I want, group them, add blank lines between groups, etc..

Now, when I shut down TWS, and restart, and it reloads the positions from the server, it screws it all up...jams them all back together again, and in random order.

Also, I add data-lines to my page for things that I don't have a position in, but do want to keep track of....like the QM contract for crude-oil price...or the underlying stock of an option I own.

Whenever I shut down and restart TWS, it -deletes- all the data-lines that I don't have an actual position in.

Hope I explained all that clearly.

In trying to figure this out before asking for help, I did try the "reorder" and "delete zero positions" functions from, I believe, the Page menu.

However, they appear to be "instant action" functions, NOT on/off switches.

Certainly, the menu does NOT give any indication that they are 'on' or 'off'.

Is the problem happening because I'm using a page named "Portfolio" ?

If so, I don't care what the page-name is, but as I noted above, when I first installed the software and created an new blank page NOT named portfolio, my existing positions did NOT load from the server.

I couldn't find a function to set that page to always load positions upon startup.

thanks! :)

#19     Sep 21, 2005
  10. IBsoft

IBsoft Interactive Brokers

The "Portfolio" page is a special page. It has symbols for each position in your portfolio.

#20     Sep 22, 2005