Problems trading futures in IRA accounts at IB?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by chanelops, Mar 6, 2015.

1. I'm hearing reports from various traders that IB has suddenly stopped allowing IRA accounts to trade futures, as of this morning.

Is this accurate? Can anyone shed any more light on this?

MoreLeverage likes this.
  2. rmorse

rmorse Sponsor

I have an Roth IRA and received no restriction.

3. KPS21

KPS21

Yes. This is accurate. I was told it was a sudden overnight decision, and that no communication was sent to IB customers. The trade desk can close your existing positions.

I was not that happy about it and had the following exchange with a Rep on chat this morning:

IB Rep: I know. It's just that there was an overnight change and as of now IRA accounts are no longer able to trade future contracts
    me: huh?
    IB Rep: I have no explanation as to the why. It was not communicated to us
    IB Rep: if it was a policy change from IB or if it was a regulatory issue
    me: so if i want to close an OPEN position, how do I do that?
    IB Rep: The permission can be re instated for the closing process or the best way is to contact the trading desk and they will close it for you
    me: and also, where is the communication of this policy change? I read my messages this morning from IB and saw nothing
    IB Rep: there has been none as of the moment
    me: that is almost impossible to believe. you have terminated, suddenly and without warning, people's ability to trade. Including those with open risk. And communicated nothing.
    me: is that basically what you are telling me?
    IB Rep: Unfortunately you are right. The ability to trade futures and future related products was terminated for IRA accounts without notice. The alternative offered is to contact the trading desk to close existing positions.

TZT and MoreLeverage like this.
  4. clacy

clacy

That's weird, I have 4 open futures positions in my IRA with IB right now....

5. rmorse

rmorse Sponsor

Wow. I had a Roth IRA at IB managed by a CTA and I closed the account end of last month. Good timing. I'm using a self-directed IRA firm to open an account at FC Stone for other managers.

6. clacy

clacy

This appears to be correct. I'm chatting with IB now

7. gary-123

gary-123

I am having the same problem. This is total disregard for customers by Interactive Brokers to make such a change without any notice. I have 2 accounts with IB, IRA and regular, and the regular account works, but the IRA will not enter a trade. Does anyone know the best alternative futures broker for trading in an IRA. IB was good because of the wide array of instruments available for trading in an IRA.

8. clacy

clacy

Thinkorswim allows futures trading within IRA account without going through external trust companies.

There are several futures trading firms that allow IRA account if you establish through a trust like Millennium Trust.

9. Nokey

Nokey

Yes, it is true. IB no longer allows futures trading in IRA accounts. The decision is one thing; the implementation was a complete customer service fail. There was no prior notice, all of my open orders were cancelled by IB and my existing positions were left in place. So, I wake up this morning and have positions on with no stops in place. Seriously! When I asked why I was told it "was a management decision." Extremely disappointed with IB - loved the brokerage, but this implementation was f'd up to the max. Will be moving my 5 figure commission business somewhere else, regrettably.

TZT likes this.
  10. Nokey

Nokey

Yeah, they didn't close out your positions, just deleted your stops! Well thought out IB! Do you think you would get your money back if the market moved through your cancelled stop overnight?

#10     Mar 6, 2015