Problem with windows security updates

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DeltaSpread, Aug 16, 2013.

1. There are some great computer folks on here so........

I have a smaller PC laptop, purchased 2 1/2 years ago new in box, came loaded with XP Home SP3. Recently I completely wiped the drive and restored to original factory settings (by utilizing the app that came on the HD with the laptop as it does not have an internal ROM drive)

So I downloaded a anti-virus progam, no problem. Runs great & so much faster now. But then I tried to get windows updates and I was expecting to get that little pop up permission message to either download some Windows program or run Active X but nothing. Instead I get an error type screen with a code. Looks like its pointing to a DLL file problem.

I was under the impression that I could still get security updates now with SP3. Not sure why I am getting the error message on a clean wiped HD. The only thing I did was remove a few clutter like programs including an eBay shortcut & google toolbar. So should not be related.

My question is, I am on vacation and absolutely have to baby sit some of my positions. if I am unable to resolve this windows update problem, how stupid would it be to access my brokerage account on the road at a private resort on their wifi network with this wiped clean laptop running SP3 w/o the security updates?

Any input appreciated. Thanks.

2. You should be able to get MSFT downloads. Likely the problem is with your machine... not hardware, just software something. Suggest running System File Checker to possibly fix DLL issue. Instructions are on the web. You'll probably need to install an external optic drive and have a CD/DVD copy of WinXP SP3, however.

3. Logistically that is not something I can do. Also I am not sure if it came with a ROM copy of XP because the laptop has no internal drive and only has two USB ports.

I have never had something like this happen to me on a fresh install. Strange.

So with said, is it even plausible to try to use it not having security updates over the last 2 1/2 to access my trading account?

Oh one other thing. I did set my automatic updates settings for daily and for them to be automatically downloaded and installed. How can I verify if that has happened? Will the updates show up in my control panel add/remove programs?

4. Big AAPL

Big AAPL

5. 1. To run System File Checker, SFC, you will need an optic drive. The system looks for problems and then replaces compromised files on the drive from the referenced CD/DVD.

2. You can run without the security updates, but there are obvious risks.

3. If I recall correctly... under Add/Remove programs, there's a box at the top to check to show "all" updates.

You might try doing another reinstall of the OS from scratch. There are other options, but you're handicapped by not having an optic drive and the ability to completely wipe your system drive.

I would never have a lappy as a primary trading rig... for exactly the same reason, among others, as the problem you're experiencing. IOW, there's likely a fix for your problem... except not easily/possible on a laptop with no optic drive.