Problem with PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bronks, Apr 1, 2010.

1. bronks

bronks

Anyone might have any ideas with the meaning of this?
    I'm screwed 'aint I ...

[​IMG]

• 0_1.jpg
      File size:
      511.5 KB
      Views:
  2. bronks

bronks

... burp

3. you might not be screwed if it is just a problem with the monitor itself or monitor cable

try hooking your computer up to a different monitor

4. bronks

bronks

Tried it... didn't work.

5. How did you get your screen display?

I think you need to systematically trouble-shoot the problem.

1. When you power up, can you get into BIOS? (That's before booting the OS)
    2. If so, can you boot the OS?
    3. If so, can you run your application?

When did you get that weird screen?

6. try booting in safe mode.

I've literally had a blue screen of death, and found out it was a virus which was repairable.

7. bronks

bronks

It just comes on like that when I power up.

1. No, I can't get into BIOS
    2. Can't boot period
    3. n/a

Two days now.

EDIT: Oh, here's another one; once it's on, I can't power off manually. I have to literally unplug the CPU from the power strip.

8. If you happen to have another computer handy, you could TRY to add the drive as a secondary and
    1st) see if you can access the drive itself off your 2nd computer, problem free; in addition, run scans with malaware or another good AV, maybe combofix.
    2nd) If that is good, try literally rebooting off that drive in the 2nd computer (can select via BIOS).

If it's all good there, you have at least eliminated the software side for the most part. Also, you can look for the sign with another monitor and/or swap out video driver card.

If you get through all that, then likely you MB is hosed.

9. for reference, how old is the hardware?

After unplugging from wall outlets, inspect the inside of the computer tower for dust, loose connections, heat damage, and anything that looks unusual. Discharge your body's static electricity before touching any sensitive parts. I would also prepare to backup any data on that machine in any way possible.

10. bronks

bronks

Hmmm, interesting. I think I'll this a shot.

Hardware's about 4-6 yrs. old. But I keep it immaculate. Regular dusting cleaning of vents, fans, etc. The thing seriously looks almost brand new.

#10     Apr 1, 2010