Problem with build 969 of JTWS

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by hsanson, Jul 12, 2001.

1. hsanson

hsanson

Have anyone tried to type in a new stock symbol using JTWS build 696, it is very cumbersome and time consuming. You have to right click a blank space, select ticker and type in your symbol and exchange in a pop up window. Doing all this it takes a lot of time. With prior versions you used to type in the symbol and select the exchange from a drop down window and thats all.

I request IB to change this 696 interface, it is costing me money ! !

Def, can you do something to help with this bad interface upgrade in build 696

storkelif

2. hsanson

hsanson

Seems IB released the new build without first publishing the changes made in the new build:
    http://www.interactivebrokers.com/html/releaseNotes/release696.html
    Everything works OK with build 696 now

hsanson

3. def

def Sponsor

Unless I am missing something, order entry is as simple as typing the symbol you want under the underlying column. There are just a few more options now on how to add an order.

On another note, as new releases come out, you should see more timely documentation and info on the releases from now on.

4. tntneo

tntneo Moderator

well,

Build 696 does suck for symbol entry..
    Try adding AMGN as a symbol.
    I can't add AMGN with default BEST_ECN or any other for that matter. If I type AMGN or INTC with NASDAQ as exchange it works but this sucks. I prefer the list with all possibilities that all previous TWS used...

What am I missing ?
    If it is in the doc, don't flame me, I am checking right now. :)

5. JayS

JayS

Def-

I guess this is as good a place as any for this question without having to start a new thread.

Why does IB allow us to trade pretty much all the standard size currencies on Globex but not the Japanese Yen (one of if not the most liquid contract)?

Thanks

Jay

6. Markiss

Markiss

I have found that 696 is a bit buggy, in the past 2 days if I try to add a new symbol then click enter I get some message saying you cant add a symbol unless blah blah blah, but if I close TWS and re open it everything is fine I can now add a symbol just by typing it in and hit enter and as usually the menu pops up I then select stock then the destination window pops up, select best ECN then Ok and everything is fine. I complained to customer service about this but they were clueless as usual and wanted to me to send a email instead.

7. def

def Sponsor

tntneo,
    i don't have the same problem. Under the symbol column I type AMGN, hit return and it gives me the entire list of exchanges to choose from. (BTW, the manual on the website has been updated with release notes and is much better).

JayS,
    The reason escapes me. I do recall that the Japanese Yen trades a bit differently than the other currencies (4 decimal places is one of the diffs). I vaguely recollect some clearing issues as well but need to reconfirm. I'll try to get some info.

Markiss,
    While the help desk person may not have been of assistance, their advice was correct. If you can document in an e-mail your issue, they can forward it to the appropriate tech person. If you tell a non-tech a tech issue the odds are that the translation will be garbled along the way to the appropriate person.

8. JayS

JayS

Def-

Sorry, one more question. I tried talking to IB chat help tonight but I don't think he spoke English well and something was lost in translation.

a/c/e is suppose to open at 9:00pm est every night but doesn't open on IB till 12:00pm est (midnight). Was wondering why?

I do no IB allows trading on the e-mini Yen, just thought it odd having one and not the other (the liquid contract).

Thanks

Jay

9. def

def Sponsor

currently IB doesn't support A/C/E trading until midnight. This should change but I'm not sure when.

10. tntneo

tntneo Moderator

Hi Def,

I am sorry to report it is a bug. The list of stock/routes does appear with a friend login in TWS on my machine, but not with my account.

so that's probably the same problem the fellow trader experienced with its setup.
    Maybe it is because this JTWS is installed for a very long time and upgrades might have corrupted the page/contract definition local files. I don't know.

#10     Jul 19, 2001