Problem with bear markets

Discussion in 'Trading' started by coolweb, May 12, 2006.

1. I don't predict the market. I follow it around with a little pooper scooper, collecting all the stinky shit that it leaves behind.

Today was a perfect setup for me, because a) I change my strategy to adjust to what the current market is doing, and b) because I follow the trend.

Yesterday's open I had long positions go south, so instead of holding them or bitching, I changed my direction and went along with it. Today I confirmed where this short-term trend was going, and started shorting at the open. $$$

Adjusting strategy based on where the market was a very short time ago, and where its going right now is the only way to succeed in both Bull and Bear markets.

As far as this week goes, it finished a bear. If you look at a weekly / 52 week chart though, you see that this is just a higher low following a higher high. Either way, I'm a trader not an investor. I don't really feel a need to overly concern myself with where the market will be weeks from now. I don't care, I'll see where it has recently been and where it is now, and that's the direction I'll take.

Up or down, you have to know how to take money from the market. True, it is easier to take money in a bull market. But knowing how to make adjustments to your trading strategy to suit the current market conditions is what intra-day trading is all about.

#21     May 12, 2006
  2. Just pick the side that pays you the most money. Case closed.

#22     May 12, 2006
  3. http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=1067642#post1067642

10:17 AM, probably the first person to post on this board "in the know."

1:20 <b> Went into 100% cash</b>

-------------------------------------------

How do I know?

Daily price action works the same as it works in intraday price action,

The analysts you speak of? Not traders.
    The market strategists you speak of? Not traders.

By checking the underlying stocks of indexes, you can clearly see something is wrong with the index the day before.

MSFT down 15%
    PFE ?
    GOOG?

All started downtrending before the drop happens, when you understand price action, this shit is simple to see.

Anybody who is long and up a good <b>10% in their portfolio on MONDAY</b>
    but does not know how to read price action accurately,
    can not make money in short term swing trading

<h3>
    Within 2 days later, your profits will be wiped away to 0 -> to negative.
    While it took over 30 days for you to accrue.
    </h3>
    If you can not predict what will happen tomorrow,
    You can not trade directional.

Period.

For all the intraday traders:
    We know you don't care where the market goes, Don't bother responding.

#23     May 12, 2006
  4. plugger

plugger

Ok Coolweb, read your post. You are calling for a 'massacre' by the sounds of it.

With your predictive powers, I don't understand why you're not short if you expect a massacre?

Again, not attacking, just want to understand. I don't have predictive powers like you. The money comes harder.

Throw a dog a bone and give me some of your predictions for Monday. Thanks.

#24     May 12, 2006
  5. I posted my short entries in real time buddy. Short Large as well.
    Keeping it player.

This thread is about the speed of change in bear markets,
    <b>Why there are so little people making a lot of money in bear markets.
    </b>
    I barely finished brushing my teeth and half the market dropped to an oblivion.

Check NVDA
    check TRADESTATION (trad)
    check TIE
    check ERS
    check EXPEDIA lol (down 30%)

etc... etc..

#25     May 12, 2006
  6. Why would you post your trades in real-time? That's sort of like advertising that you're paper trading, isn't it?

#26     May 12, 2006
  7. <h3>
    Maybe to a retard like you?
    </h3>

I post real time because I have been posting trades consistently for over 2 years.

Its effortless for me. Can you say the same?

#27     May 12, 2006
  8. plugger

plugger

Should I be shorting these on Monday? Is that what you're saying? Or were you short these? I didn't see that in your journal but maybe i missed it.

I understand if you don't want to give away your predictions but you do post them so i'd appreciate if you could post a few for Monday.

I can see from your journal that you've been doing this for awhile and obviously make quite a bit of money. Like you once posted:

"You're so money"

How far do you see this massacre going? Will these stocks ever recover from their drop into oblivion? Some pretty substantial drops. If you were short, you really cleaned up. Congrats.

#28     May 12, 2006
  9. Haha - no. You won't see me posting my trades. It's imbecilic IMHO.

#29     May 12, 2006
  10. volente_00

volente_00

No I am not. I just personally know a few traders who blew out on the brutal bear market rallies we had before the bull started. That is the worst part of the bear, Lower lows, lower highs, but your nerves get tested on the nasty short covering rallies on the way down.

#30     May 12, 2006