Problem with bear markets

Discussion in 'Trading' started by coolweb, May 12, 2006.

1. you got it. In fact, the popular averages and indicies are an example of the dichotomy. While alot of those momo stocks are dying a slow death, the indicies are keeping the perma-bulls all geared up for the "final rally".

#11     May 12, 2006
  2. volente_00

volente_00

The same can be said for the retail shorts in a bear market.

#12     May 12, 2006
  3. So, are you saying that a 2% correction constitutes a bear market? I certainly hope not.

To be clear, I'm indifferent. I think that the next couple of months are going to contain some very solid swings as we're now HIGHLY data dependent.

Perma bears and perma bulls will get thier asses handed to them if they refuse to remain agile.

And to the guy who says he trades at a size that the market can't easily absorb - GIVE ME AN F-CKING BREAK.

#13     May 12, 2006
  4. Just trade. i still get some money from the market today.

#14     May 12, 2006
  5. Interesting conversation really.

I wouldn't say this bull is long in the tooth until retail starts to really get involved. Has that happened yet?

I tend not to think so, but could be getting close.

I want a looooooooooooong painful Summer, the sadist in me needs to be sated. It'll make Santa seem all the sweeter.

:D

#15     May 12, 2006
  6. for pete's sake

the myopia is absurd. we have had 2 down days in a row with a total drop in most indexes of not even 4%

that is not a "bear market". so your comment is irrelevant to the current situation

when and if we have a bear market, you will know it. could this be the start? sure. a 1 point drop COULD be the start of a bear market, but there is no reason to say "bear market" because the indexes took a tiny drop

for pete's sake

#16     May 12, 2006

7. The problem with traders like you is ,
    You need 20 days of down days to start thinking its a bear market

Where other experienced traders know whats going on , know whats going to HAPPEN in the later weeks ,
    on the first or second day of selling.

By the time you recognize its a bear market,
    <b>
    We will probably be in a bull market and you just started to go short large!
    </b>

lol.

#17     May 12, 2006
  8. by NO definition is this a bear market

it could be the *start*, but ANY drop COULD be the start and we have had literally DOZENS of drops of similar magnitude since this bull market started

fwiw, i shorted the dow minis today for 80 pts

that's not because i am a "bull" or a "bear". it's because the market told me to short

but two days of mediocre downswing does not equal a bear market.

you need to learn what the word "bear market" means

i heard the same idiocy when gold pulled back to 490. i was screaming for people to buy.

this MAY be a bear market BEGINNING, but by no definition can it be called a bear market yet. because we are still near frigging all time highs in any # of markets.

the one thing that concerns me is the breadth. the breadth is not compelling

#18     May 12, 2006

9. By the time you start to "define" the market as a bear market,
    All professionals who know what they are doing have already covered.

Nobody cares if you think this doesn't look like a bear market to you right now,

You wouldn't know what a bear market or bull market looks like in the first place.

We care what it will look like in 3 weeks, in 6 weeks, in 9 weeks.

#19     May 12, 2006
  10. plugger

plugger

So where are we then? You seem to know. Should i be dumping any long positions on Monday?

Your comment that experienced traders 'know' is laughable. Would that be similar to the analysts and market strategists who know? C'mon, give me a break. No one really knows. The S&P could rebound 20 points on Monday or it could drop 300.

But since you seem to be in the 'know', lay it out for us all to see. I'm not attacking you personally, but your comment seems a little shallow.

By the way, i don't know. Call me stupid but i think the old saying talks about being smart enough to know what you don't know.

#20     May 12, 2006