Probable IB TWS Bug

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Lucrum, Nov 5, 2006.

1. H is Howard at ensign ... and for some reason he apparently didn't incorporate software to ignore the "there's a newer version" message. Given how easy it is I am surprised (he's a good programmer).

I'm sure IB run a full set of prerelease tests but there are so many environments out there (and so many ways of doing things) that you can't catch everything ... Would you run the latest IE or anything complex if your money depended on its stability, before it had been out for a couple of weeks?

This is a mission critical App ... its not just your browser ... its your livelihood!

Don't upgrade unless you get something for it.

and even then, hang around a couple of weeks after the release before you load it.

#11     Nov 6, 2006
  2. Lucrum

Lucrum

The last time I had auto logon problems it was Ensign support that told me it was because of not having the latest version of TWS. But you are certainly right in that I could, and I have, bypass the "newer version available message" manually. I'm just avoiding having to get up after midnight to do it.

#12     Nov 6, 2006
  3. I'll second that. IB could easily do away with this message. It's just an irritation. There are better options for notifying clients of new software releases - eg email, bulletin, message that is displayed on logon to account management. The popup dialog should be restricted to cases where the running version of TWS is so old as to have incompatibility with the server side software.

#13     Nov 6, 2006
  4. One thought TL.

Short of either Howard adding a little extra script or IB dumping the message how about restarting during the time that CME shuts down each afternoon. Most exchanges of importance are out at that point.

#14     Nov 6, 2006
  5. squeeze

squeeze

If there is someone from IB reading this thread please can you explain why the software is forced to close each day?

It makes supporting automated trading awkward and is not what I would expect from a professional platform.

#15     Nov 6, 2006
    #16     Nov 6, 2006
  7. Can someone smarter than me explain why the nasdaq tick is not available in the IB api?

#17     Nov 6, 2006
  8. Lucrum

Lucrum

Update

Exchanged several PM's with def and DAV including some log files then - nothing for days. Although to their credit they seemed genuinely interested in fixing the bug.

Upgraded to 864.7 (yeah, I know) and the bug mentioned in the first post is no longer there.

#18     Nov 14, 2006
  9. I think usually what happens is that when the new build comes out, there are usually more downloads soon after. These downloads are to correct the problems!:D So once you downloaded that first one, you better download the rest!

OldTrader

#19     Nov 14, 2006
  10. Yes. A long and distinguished pattern in software.

#20     Nov 14, 2006