Probability questions

Discussion in 'Trading' started by knowledgebone, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Point is, you're wrong.

#11     Dec 8, 2003
  2. pspr

pspr

Not the way you worded it. Any 3 of the 4 horses in any order. That makes 4 bets. Geeez.

#12     Dec 8, 2003
  3. 4 *3 * 2 = 24 bets.

Look at the wording again. you're confusing a "trifecta box" with a straight trifecta bet. Each trifecta box has 6 different combinations. So 6 *4 =24 combinations

#13     Dec 8, 2003
  4. pspr

pspr

The combinations are as follows, yes or no?

Horses 1, 2, 3
    Horses 4, 1, 2
    Horses 3, 4, 1
    Horses 2, 3, 4

Or did you mean that "you didn't care what order" but the bet (trifecta) does? I don't play horse racing so I'm just going by your post.

If that is the case then each combination above has 6 possibilities which is $24 (6*4) as you stated.

#14     Dec 8, 2003
  5. Yes, I see you don't play horse racing. And I probably worded the question poorly (so whats new).

Your second paragraph has the answer, their are 4 different "trifecta box" bets, each costing $6.

There are 6 different ways horses 1,2,3 can come in etc.

#15     Dec 8, 2003
  6. pspr

pspr

Well, I guess knowledgebone should ACE his test now that we have that figured out. :D

#16     Dec 8, 2003
  7. One could say that. To be honest, if it weren't for my racing knowledge (all theoretical of course), I would have answered as pspr did.

#17     Dec 8, 2003
  8. pspr

pspr

You can always find a harrytrader post and run him in a few circles for laughs. He's not as much fun as Mrmarket, though.

#18     Dec 8, 2003
  9. I used to think mr. market was the easiest and most fun to target. But lately, walter has equalled him.

mr. market knows exactly what he's doing, and walter hasn't a clue. Two interesting contrasts.

Cindarella said it best, "you don't know what you got 'til it's gone".

#20     Dec 8, 2003