Pro Traders...please tell me what I'm doing wrong - how can I change it ?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by neveral0ne, Feb 13, 2010.

1. LMAo.. the answer is simple.. your entry was perfect... your stops are way way too close.. what the hell are you doing with such a narrow stop.. once you enter a trade give it a 50 cent margin for error and leave the screen.. come back and your profits shold be baked in!!!!!
    quit using stops.. you are running more scared than a pig at a bbq

#51     Feb 14, 2010
  2. One thing I would have never thought of is actually drawing the bottom line for the falling wedge all the way from yesterday.

Does the first 5 minute candle on a gap down/ gap up always play such an important role ?

Is only on gap days, or on every day ?

#52     Feb 14, 2010
  3. The more time frames I use, the more confused I get and indecisive....something they all contradict each other ;/

#53     Feb 14, 2010
  4. Let me say first off I didn't read the other responses in this thread carefully so this may already have been covered. If so, apologies.

Some random thoughts... I'll try to follow up if you respond OP:

1. Why were you trading this stock in the first place on that day?
    2. What was the thought process behind the entry?
    FWIW, I do not hate the entry... as I skimmed the thread I saw some posters did, but that's just a matter of style.

I do have a huge issue with two things: your exit and your focus on adding/taking.

-The exit. The bid never dropped, right? If it went down to 100 showing on ARCA and printing 100K shares red and that bid never dropped then you have NO reason to get out. This is a serious error and is only due to emotions. If you don't fix that, you won't make money.
    -In fact, I would wait to see the bid drop and then see what happens. You don't want to be the guy hitting 38's just before it rockets up 30 cents.

-Adding / taking. Yes, this matters but you should not be focused on this. If you're making mistakes like this then whatever you're doing adding or taking liquidity is nothing compared to what you're losing due to errors. Focus on that. In fact, if I had sold the shares in error I would have paid 45 or 46 on the offer to get back in the trade when it went.

Once you have taken on the risk of the trade and invested the mental energy you have to be compensated for it. Don't wimp out

Make sense?

#54     Feb 14, 2010
  5. Obviously.

And btw now as I read the thread I see others answering don't understand how to read the Level 2.

I make money from the Level 2 very consistently... but your concern over seeing a lot of red shows me that you don't really understand how to read it.

your position sizing is ridiculous frankly. You need to be trading a size that lets you take 4-5 losses before you're stopped out on the day. I can't imagine why you are trading with more than 200 shares at this point. Build consistency on 200 shares then it's scalable.

And you should be doing 4000-6000 shares / day probably. More than 10K is overtrading on a prop desk with 200 shares / trade. If management doesn't understand that politely tell them to go f themselves and find a better desk.

Be consistent. That's the key... that and manage the risk.

You gotta trade a lot to learn to deal with the emotions. If you're making mistakes like this after 6 months have someone slap you in the head... if youve been trading less than that then you're learning so just keep at it. Do not get discouraged!

#55     Feb 14, 2010
  6. Talon, thanks alot. I just started trading full time at a prop in mid december. did some retail swing trading for couple months before that.

Yes I'm gona lower my share size, starting tuesday. and if they dont like it i guess i will have to find another firm , that doesnt care about volume and doesnt stress me out either in addition o what the market alreayd does.

Im young. so I have a long way to og, but over the past 3 months spending 7 hours, 5x a week in front of the market, I have learned alot.

I was trading Micron because...its one of the stocks that I can trade on top of BAC GE F LUV and some other NYFB listed stocks...

By the way what stocks am I supposed to trade to learn on ?

#56     Feb 14, 2010
  7. BAC???? If you're reading the L2 that's possibly the worst stock in existence. too thick in the book.

Trade stocks that just reported earnings that have big order flow and/or have done big premarket volume. For those stocks, reading the tape is possible.

Big thick stocks without a lot of news are extremely random and hard to trade from the tape. They will trade fine on the chart, but it's a different skill. F has been ok... LUV ... ugh... GE... hard to read the tape.

Will they let you trade stocks that just reported?

#57     Feb 14, 2010
  8. I can trade anything under 25$

#58     Feb 14, 2010
  9. How are you trying to learn to trade? TA? Reading the tape? What have they taught you?

#59     Feb 14, 2010
  10. Where can I find stocks that have big pre market volume or unusual volume ? FinViz ? I have trouble finding stocks like that...

My list of stocks they chose include.....

AA
    AAI
    F
    BAC
    GE
    LCC
    LSI
    LUV
    XRX
    NOK
    MOT
    MU