Pro NY trader goes from 200k salary down to 25k

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by joemiami, Jun 3, 2009.

1. #21     Jun 3, 2009
  2. Good post Landis.

Great point about his "take home pay", probably $110,000, but to make a point, let's take the absolute high and say $125,000.

---------------------------------------------
    From the article--

"Last month, for the first time, the Arayas didn't make a mortgage payment. Their savings are almost depleted. The mortgage, taxes and fees for the family's condo cost $6,200.
    ----------------------------------------------------

The guy is taking home 125k and spending 60% of it (75k) just on his freaking condo!!!
    That leaves 40% of his TAKE HOME for food, clothes, credit cards, utilities, cable/internet bill, entertainment, vacation, college savings for two kids, and retirement savings!!!!

He had no business buying a million dollar condo.

It's very difficult to feel bad for the guy (although I still do).

#22     Jun 3, 2009
  3. Sushi

Sushi

Palm maître ds in manhattan make way more than 25 k. Try 150 plus with bonus. Article is bs

#23     Jun 3, 2009
  4. cstfx

cstfx

There are no other kind in Manhattan.

#24     Jun 3, 2009
  5. Exactly my point. He should have moved to the burbs, bought a nice 500k house and commuted 45-60 minutes.

#25     Jun 3, 2009
  6. cstfx

cstfx

Have you ever tried to commute to NYC from say New Brunswick or Edison at 4:30 in the morning and then back at night, get 2-3 hours sleep and do it all again?

If the hours in the article are correct (and I question why anyone needed to be in the office at 4:30 if he was floor based) then he needed to be close.

#26     Jun 3, 2009
  7. Host/hostess is an hourly job and pays in-line with "front of the house" positions. I know because my brother owned a minority interest in a popular Manhattan restaurant.

#27     Jun 3, 2009
  8. My buddy commutes from Center City in Philly to the NYMEX every morning. It's a grueling commute.

#28     Jun 3, 2009
  9. Then move to Jersey City, Hoboken, Weehawken, Edgewater, or someplace else within a 10-15 minute PATH or ferry ride.

Would have saved 20-40% extra on his take home pay for a minor commute.

#29     Jun 3, 2009
  10. That's awful. Why would he do that?

That ride must be 1:30 minutes each way, minimum.

At some point you have to think "How much is my time worth?".

#30     Jun 3, 2009