Pro Firms Specializing in Options

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by F_488, Dec 16, 2016.

1. F_488

F_488

Can anyone recommend a good Prop Firm that Specializes in Options Trading.

2. Maverick74

Maverick74

They are mostly HFT and MM. Is that what you are looking for?

3. F_488

F_488

No just wanted to trade spreads.

4. Maverick74

Maverick74

That doesn't really exist anymore. Can I ask why a prop firm? Is it just capital? Because spreads require almost no margin. Is there some other thing you are looking for like automation or software?

5. F_488

F_488

Maverick, Yes I am looking to use the firms capital, have access to better software and would like to join a prop firm where I can learn more about options trading

6. Maverick74

Maverick74

OK. That structure doesn't really exist anymore. In fact, even when it did exist, and I was a member of one, in order to join our JBO, you HAD to be a market professional and prove it meaning you were licensed, worked in the industry and were well capitalized. We certainly would not take anyone that was looking to "learn" and we never offered backing. It was always first loss meaning whatever capital you came in with you absorbed 100% of the losses.

7. dealmaker

dealmaker

8. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Group one is a tradition prop firm, not a JBO. They hire and train market makers.

dealmaker likes this.
  9. Maverick74

Maverick74

Guys he is not looking to be a MM.

10. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Yes, we read that too. If we rule out the MM firms, as MAV knows, most JBO prop firms are set up for day-trading equities and don't offer options. If they offer options it will likely be low risk strategies with limited margin use over night. IMO, those that can't fund an account and get DT, and insist on trading equities, have no choice but to join a JBO prop firm. I find in general, those that do that with $5000 to $10,000 are very unhappy with the results. If you are hoping they will train you to trade options, you don't need them. Find a mentor or option training class to get you started. start with the free ones.
    http://www.cboe.com/learncenter/optionsinstitute1.aspx
    http://www.optionseducation.org/options_education/program_overview.html

If you have over $25,000, say $30,000 or more, I suggest you try a customer account for whatever your plans are. Keep control of your account and avoid commingling your funds and being a registered person. You can always join a JBO prop firm later, but if you join them 1st you are stuck for 1 year.

#10     Dec 17, 2016