Prison system a costly, harmful failure:

Discussion in 'Politics' started by cgroupman, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Interesting stuff.

Also, around the Reagan era is when the manufacturing base started being offshored, hence withdrawing jobs from the poorest neighborhoods. Prisons started replacing factories, instead of jobs you had human storage. Hence the change in laws for easier prosecution & imprisonment for non-violent offenses such as drugs.

#21     Nov 25, 2007
  2. Exodus doesn't account for cases of mistaken identity or any mistakes. If I recall, Exodus was taken literally in Italy by the Mafia way way back when..weren't too many men left. I also think Exodus is commonly misinterpreted.

#22     Nov 25, 2007
  3. Cities of refuge were set up as part of the law. People were not supposed to be disciplined by vigilantes, but by multi-witness testimony and through a carefully constructed Law/legal system. Punishing the innocent was not something that was condoned. But a lot of innocents still go through the modern process, so technology and modern law enforcement is no guarantee.

#23     Nov 26, 2007
  4. What does offshoring have to do with any administration? Republicans and Democrats are equally ineffective at dealing with this. Companies will flow to where it is cheapest/easiest.

I think the solution is simple. Pull workmen's comp, medicare/soc security, medical insurance, vacation, holidays, worker's rights, reasonable pay scales, environmental damage costs, and most other mandated worker requirements, out of the formula. Every country that wants to import to the USA pays a flat tariff per product/service, cost-based on industry averages of these mandated expenses.

NOW let us see China compete. I do not see the point of imports, when China burns massive amounts of polluting coal, has little worker protection/rights/benefits, pays almost nothing, and then gets to dump their wares on their market when American workers have the above builtin costs.

#24     Nov 26, 2007
  5. maxpi

maxpi

it just confirms that somebody wants things screwed up the way they are and they can buy democrat politicians/entertainers... same thing really...

#25     Nov 26, 2007
  6. LOL

#26     Nov 26, 2007