Prison America

Discussion in 'Politics' started by bat1, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Politicians, unfortunately cannot even suggest a problem or a solution or put it out there, because then via the media that particular politician will "own" the problem. When that politician is unable to "solve" the problem even through no fault of their own, they will be "blamed" for "causing" and "failing" to do anything about it. They will then be unelectable.

Crime issues are only addressed by savvy politicians as "getting tough on crime" which is advocating longer sentences, or making misdeamenors into felonies, or more police.

Has anyone heard of a politicians going to Washington for money for youth programs or improving the juvenile justice system.? No.

Senseless youth violence is met with the same old rhetoric, "get the guns off the street" or "try a juvenile as an adult".

#31     Jul 7, 2008
  2. Vista

Vista

That's the way I've seen it again and again. The key words are NO EFFORT.

But liberals just want to keep on giving and giving and giving (someone else's money, of course). Maybe one day they'll get out of their cubicles and go into the city, walk the streets and see whats really going on.

#32     Jul 7, 2008
  3. Vista

Vista

Since I'm an equal opportunity offender, and just having cut down liberals, I'd have to guess that this idiot law was made by a far right conservative, most likely Baptist. Absolutely silly.

#33     Jul 7, 2008
  4. It's not a liberal or conservative problem.

It's a money problem.

Ticketing people, charging people with crimes, go through the financial pain of assessment and rehab (dui, drug cases), having psychologists, alcohol assessment 'professionals,' probation officers, police officers, judges, magistrates, corrections officers get a piece of taxpayer money (or the accused's money, if they're well off), it's all a big racket.

And the companies that build prisons are on a growth trajectory, baby.

Oh yes, life is good. With 2% of Americans in prison, many of them because they got caught with a dime bag of pot, or stole a piece of pizza, is nothing but shame on this republic.

Follow the money. When government property tax (local) and income tax (federal) revenues shrink, look for things to get more draconian.

And the prison builders will be there to grease the hands of the politicians.

But sleep safe at night. 18 year old Johnny, popped for a dime bag of pot, is serving 3 to 5, with maybe a 13 month stay for good behavior.

Money well spent.

#34     Jul 7, 2008
  5. Too right BLSH. It is strictly a growth industry kind o' thing and has little to do with party politics or political philosophy. I will hazard a guess that the prison cartel contributes appropriate amounts to both parties. You know, kind of like lawyers and investment bankers.

lj

#35     Jul 8, 2008
  6. BSAM

BSAM

1. Implement laws and incarceration facilities with "teeth" in them.

and/or

2. Overhaul the drug laws.

and/or

3. Eliminate parole (go to truth in sentencing).

Then prison populations would dwindle. Of course, numbers 1, 2, & 3 (above) will never happen. (The liberals would go berserk.) What you right-thinking people don't understand is that the prison industry is huge in the USA. It's not about punishment and rehabilitation (what a joke). It's about money!!

#36     Jul 8, 2008
  7. maxpi

maxpi

San Diego had a unit internal to the Police department back in the 70's that hunted down repeat offenders and killed them, and they got caught because one guy took a couple of bullets point blank and lived to testify!! They need to learn to do it right, two guys, one close up, one further out, the last two shots to the head, jeez, can't these cops even read crime pulp??

#37     Jul 8, 2008
  8. hcour

hcour Guest

Well, hell. There goes my weekend.

H

#38     Jul 8, 2008
  9. I don't understand how the jail population would dwindle. The criminal would be let out (I'm speculating on your concept) and somehow would not commit another crime?

Jail IS a business, but that's because there is a large demand for it.

#39     Jul 8, 2008