Printable versions of reviews on Backtesting Platforms

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Gyles, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Gyles

Gyles

ERdiesel, what do you want to trade with TradersStudio? Do you wish to trade Stocks or Commodites with TradersStudio?

#51     Jul 7, 2008
  2. ERdiesel

ERdiesel

Stocks only

I appreciate you wanting to help, however I haven't dived into the core of the program yet. I've been "trying" other more intuitive programs. To be honest, I'm having some difficulty getting past the non-intuitive user interface of tradersstudio. Basic UI conceps as accessible menus via right mouse clicks and such is really bothering me in the sense that if they can't get something as basic as the user interface "right", then how can the more complex parts of the program function smoothly.

I realize that i'm nit-picking but that is where I am coming from. However as mentioned before, I might be completely wrong and the core functionality of the program might be second to none (or at least second only to trading blox). So I realize i'm passing judgement on this program based on its "cover". As I find time to play with the program (i only have less than 2 weeks to make up my mind) I will definitely keep an open mind and see if the actual usage of the program is not as confusing as it looks on the surface or at the very least that the core functions work as well as some of you feel it does.

#52     Jul 7, 2008
  3. You've been saying this for several days now so you're probably running out of time to do whatever you planned to do.

I've been mulling what you've been trying to say about UI and have been trying to think of a non-trivial and serious application with an interface that is so intuitive that you don't need to read a manual to use it and all functionality is intuitively accessible in doing so. I can't think of one and, in truth, find your statements about intuitive UI quite laughable.

So, if you can't be bothered to read then I feel confident that you won't want to program or learn to program (requires reading again). And programming skills are prerequisites to really making best use of tools like this. I'm afrom your posts you come across as physically and intellectually lazy. That would embarass me and should you.

Anyway, I think your mind is made up and always has been - which is why you can't be bothered to pick up the manual and read it. So stop wasting people's time and go and do whatever it is you really intend to do.

Thx
    D

#53     Jul 7, 2008
  4. ERdiesel

ERdiesel

Excuse me fundjunkie, but since when was slinging insults at me or anyone else for that matter warranted? I don't know you, and you don't know me, so please don't lower yourself like that. And if you must know, I graduated from one of the top ivy league schools in the US so i'm far from "intellectually" lazy. Hardly anything to be "embarrassed" about, as you put it.

Bad day in the market perhaps? If so, by all means feel free to use me as a punching bag.........just this once :)

As I said before, I've been busy with some other application that seem to be giving me what I want at the moment, and that is what has been taking up my time. With that said, the other application is probably more complimentary rather then a complete replacement for tradersstudio or trading blox. In fact I would like to use the other app to quickly run through mutiple strategies without getting into the nitty gritty of "programming" and when I find a strategy that seems to "work", I belive a program like tradersstudio would serve me well to really flush out the strategy with more professional level money management, optimization, and walk forward concepts.

And obviously my mind is not made up since I dished out the cost to "try" the program and have yet to ask for a refund. And since when am I wasting anyone's time who's time does not want to be wasted, especially on a forum? I didn't force you to "waste" your time to respond to me and the message and in fact the message I was trying to get across to gyles was the fact that I wasn't looking for "handouts" but I needed to take the time to read the manuals and didn't want to start throwing around any specific questions and requests for help until I have completed some due diligence myself. My original intent for resurrecting this thread was to get feedback from those who have purchased the program within the past few months and have now gotten familiar with it and would now be in a position to provide greater feedback to better aid my decision making process.

By the way, i've had no problems picking up Amibroker, Ninjatrader, and a number of other applications and jumping right into it and understanding what I needed to do to get to where I wanted to outside of actually programming in whatever scripts/languages they required. My point about TradersStudio is that is not the case. However, based on people's feedback here, I do feel that TradersStudio is definitely something that I will need to give a try because the core functionality as far as backtesting might be superior to the other programs once I have gotten over the much steeper learning curve.

I understand your need to defend an application that you dished money out for, but like I said before, it certainly should not degenerate into personal insult slinging on your part. Feel free to convey whatever message that you are trying to convey, however please refrain from personal attacks and insults.

Thanks

#54     Jul 7, 2008

5. I use the data that is available with TradersStudio, CSI & Pinnacle data.

#55     Aug 2, 2008
  6. Gyles

Gyles

ERdiesel, please may I know of your decision regarding the TradersStudio product?

#56     Aug 5, 2008
  7. ERdiesel

ERdiesel

Considering that it's only 500 dollars i decided to keep it even though i haven't spent any quality time playing with it. getting familiar with it is on my rather long to do list. however, i'm eagerly awaiting what new things will come in the updated release............that is if they ever release it. i am rather disappoited with their lack of communication on the upgrade. from what i've seen posted here and on their site, it looks as if they are way behind schedule with it.

#57     Aug 5, 2008
  8. Murray Ruggiero

Murray Ruggiero Sponsor

We are working on the upgrade, it's summer and some people have been on vacation. We are all back and working on the new professional version. I don't know why you think we will never release it. Remember that Beta testers sign a NDA, we don't want new features to be added by our competitors, so I don't discuss all of them on the site or on ET.

Please E-Mail Support , They will be happy to answer any questions you have.

We are a little behind where I want to be , maybe 2-3 weeks. It's my fault because when customers ask for new features I need to learn to say no!. I try to make our customers happy.

We are working on a new web site and market efforts which we will make available after Labor day. Remember it's summer so , releasing news now does not really help, since many people are on vacation.

#58     Aug 5, 2008
  9. ERdiesel

ERdiesel

Thanks for the update murray. one big factor in keeping the program even though i haven't really used it yet was the fact that i was "investing" in your next version at today's price. i hope the next version works well.

So can you please give me your current expected release date?

#59     Aug 6, 2008
  10. Murray Ruggiero

Murray Ruggiero Sponsor

My current estimates are sometime between middle of October and early November. I am hopeful of mid October, but I am saying possible early November to cover myself.

One of my big problem is that I don't know how to say no. When people ask for new features I add them if I think they are useful. In addition I also add features I need for the trading research and plan development that I am currently doing.

#60     Aug 10, 2008