Printable versions of reviews on Backtesting Platforms

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Gyles, Mar 13, 2008.

1. ERdiesel

ERdiesel

As mentioned, i haven't had time to really dive down into the application. I've been playing with some other applications which were easier to just get up and running. Since my 4 week "trial" is up in about 2 weeks, I will certainly begin playing with Tradersstudio since I need to make a decision soon as to whether it's a keeper or not.

What EOD data source do you use by the way?

#41     Jul 3, 2008

2. ERdiesel, I use CSI (www.csidata.com) as my EOD data provider. I also use barchart.com for intraday analaysis, quick charting, etc.

My favorite feature in TradersStudio is the ability to create a system (called "Session" in TradersStudio) and then combine all my systems ("sessions") into a suite of systems called a "Tradeplan". TradersStudio has true multi-market-multi-system portfolio backtesting. TradersBlox (and possibly Mechanica - I say possibly because I hear (still unconfirmed, that Mechanica takes some shortcuts in the simulation that negates true/realsitic portfolio backtesting) are the only platforms that provide true multi-market-multi-system portfolio backtesting.

If you want a fancy intra-day realtime platform to trade tick bars and 5min bars - then consider OpenQuant - even though this will require learning C## and a more complex interface/language).

If you aren't interested in true multi-market-multi-system portfolio backtesting. then all the other platforms (Multicharts, Amibroker) can be considered.

But if you want true EOD multi-market-multi-system portfolio backtesting - then your options are TradersStudio, TradingBlox or Mechanica***.

Finally, they all have their weaknesses and strengths - AMIbroker in particular seems quite attractive - but it doesn't have true multi-market-multi-system portfolio backtesting and can't be used for Active Trade Mgmt i.e. walk-forward live trading and position mgmt/reporting which is another strong feature of TradersStudio.

I know of people who combine AMIbroker and TradersStudio; some combine AMIbroker and OpenQuant.

#42     Jul 3, 2008
  3. Murray Ruggiero

Murray Ruggiero Sponsor

If I can help , please PM me with your questions. Tell me what you want to do with the product.

#43     Jul 3, 2008
  4. ERdiesel

ERdiesel

Thank you very much for your feedback on tradersstudio.

Yes, i've tried amibroker and it's a nice application. Not to mention very fast as far as optimizing is concerned. It seems like a lot of people are using amibroker to quickly run strategies and optimize them, then using a different product such as tradersstudio or tradingblox to conduct more extensive backtesting.

I have also tried openquant, and without knowing C# programming, it wasn't for me.

#44     Jul 3, 2008
  5. ERdiesel

ERdiesel

Thanks Murray. I probably will be pm-ing you for help once I begin to actually use your product!!!

#45     Jul 3, 2008
  6. ERdiesel

ERdiesel

I posted my first question in the tradersstudio forum and this message came up:

"You have posted to a moderated forum.
    Your message will not be available until it has been approved.

A moderator will review your post shortly.

Thank you."

How can they run a user support forum like that? in fact theirs is the only forum that i've ever posted to on the internet where posts had to be pre-cleared. but even more troubling is the fact that if i do have a problem, there will be significant delays first with someone clearing the message, then someone responding to it.

seems like they want to "filter" out any really bad problems or issues about the program that people might be posting when seeking help. so much for transparency with tradersstudio

#46     Jul 3, 2008
  7. Murray Ruggiero

Murray Ruggiero Sponsor

There are other forums which need to be cleared for example Trading Blox now will moderate the forum unless your accepted as pre-approved.
    One of the reasons we do it is that our beta programs are large and we had problems with posts due to beta issues in the general forum because people forgot that they were using a version not all customers had. This created some big issues and is one of the reasons why we moderate the forums. Another problem is when people buy a commerical system for example Trend Harmony and ask questions about it in the forums which disclose it's logic. These are two reasons for a moderated forum.

#47     Jul 3, 2008
  8. Gyles

Gyles

You have given a very good idea, JaiSreeram. I shall think over this and let you know in a day or so.

#48     Jul 4, 2008
  9. ERdiesel

ERdiesel

cptrader, i noticed your post over at the trading blox forums. seems like you are considering moving over to trading blox. Any reason why? i'm asking because it seemed like you enjoyed tradersstudio, so i'm wondering why you would be considering moving off that platform

#49     Jul 5, 2008
  10. Gyles

Gyles

ERdiesel, we all are ready to help you all. Please specify the problems you have, we shall surely help you out. We agree that you might be facing problems, and we are ready to help make TradersStudio an enjoyable experience. :)

TradersStudio might look confusing int he beginning, but with a little help it shall be a breeze. Please do not hesitate to ask questions just as you would do so if you were studying.

Moreover, in terms of the charting, it is being improved upon in a big way in the next version. The new version shall have more Addins, toolbars etc. In brief, it shall a big improvement in many ways.

It is my humble request to please "Private Message" Mr. Murray, any ideas for changes or improvements; you would like to be included while the new product is in the beta. As, from my personal experience, earlier I had sent my requests and requirements which I so desired and he had included them as new features in the beta version.

#50     Jul 6, 2008