Printable versions of reviews on Backtesting Platforms

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Gyles, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Have you purchased TradersStudio yet? Please let us know your experiences over it.

#31     Jun 7, 2008
  2. TraderSystem, I have just purchased TradersStudio a few days back only. :) It looks easy to learn, though it is a bit too early to comment. I shall surely post my experiences after a few weeks time. Hope by that time I have understood enough and earned something also. :) :D

#32     Jun 11, 2008
  3. Gyles

Gyles

Welcome, JaiSreeram to the growing TradersStudio family. :) Please do post your experiences.

#33     Jun 12, 2008
  4. ERdiesel

ERdiesel

jaisreeram,

it has been a few weeks. did you wind up keeping tradersstudio? any feedback on the product from your usage of it in the past few weeks? pros/cons? thanks.

Eric

#34     Jul 1, 2008
  5. I have been using TradersStudio for sometime now, it looks good. However, I was thinking that if users can come together & discuss the various methods, or ways to exploit the features of the software. Moreover, they can discuss & and clarify any doubts or queries they have regarding its usage.
    Therefore, is it possible to have some sort of discussion thread relating to TradersStudio so that we can all discuss and learn from experienced users?

#35     Jul 1, 2008
  6. ERdiesel

ERdiesel

Anyone can create a "Tradersstudio Users Discusion Thread", including yourself. I purchased the program over a week and a half ago to evaluate it but i haven't had time to yet. If I was convinced to keep it, i would create such a thread but since there is a chance I may not keep it, i think it's best if i dont start the thread.

So are there any pros/cons that you can share from your experiences with the software?

For me, my initial impressions weren't that great (based on look and feel). The charting is pretty bad, the UI is confusing and "bare bones" however the core features such as backtesting and optimization might be great. I just don't know since I haven't gotten around to "testing" the features. Not exactly an application that you can simply start up for the first time and get started. One of the few applications that I have played with recently where you actually need to read through the written manuals in order to figure out what to do to get started.

#36     Jul 1, 2008
  7. My PERSONAL opinion - and I stress personal - as I make no claim that my opinion is superior or right - is that traders should engage in "Division of Labor". Therefore, find the best "chartiung" package you can find and use that for charting, find the best backtesting/optimization platform and use that for backtesting/optimization, find the best EOD data service, find the best real-time data service, find the best news platform, etc.

There isn't any super package/platform with strengths in all areas.

I have an EOD data service, a separate real-time data service, a separate trading/execution platform, I am not a big time chartist - but get my charts from my data services and the trading platform, and for my backtesting/optimization I use TradersStudio.

I've never (maybe once) used TradersStudio charting because I didn't buy the platform as a charting platform.

I think many traders unduly frustrate themselves by looking for the non-existent all-in-one package.

Just my personal thoughts...

#37     Jul 1, 2008
  8. You will find that for any serious high-level backtesting platform - you have t read the manual/help files. yes some features will be intuitive, but for real powerful platforms, you can't avoid studying the platforms and doing so will save you many many days of wasted effort - trying to "figure out" the platform intuitively.

TradingBlox, AMIBROKER, MULTICHARTS all have extensive help files/manuals and just like TradersStudio t o fully tap into their power you have to read the manuals.

When I first got the TradersStudio platform I had a similar experience to what you recount, indeed I was slightly overwhelmed, but with some effort and the super support of TardersStudio tech support/customer service, within 2 weeks I was very comfortable with the platform and had a few systems fully coded. I encourage you to study the manuals, help files and make use of their great customer service.

#38     Jul 1, 2008
  9. ERdiesel

ERdiesel

I agree with your previous point about charting, that's why I use different apps for charting as well as market scanning. However, it would be nice if a program such as tradersstudio had a more visually appealing charting program.

As far as EOD data is concerned, what data service do you use?

I will begin to study the manuals for tradersstudio, but i've just been busy with work and all. And yes, they do have great support. I've spoken with Steve multiple times and he's been very helpful. By the way, can you tell me what you like/disklike about the program?

Thanks!!!

#39     Jul 2, 2008
  10. ERdiesel, you may have a point, but can you master anything without knowing the fundamentals or its basics? We all need guidance, like schools, colleges, teachers, books etc. to learn things. Trading softwares are no exception & TradersStudio atleast gives you manuals which you can easily refer to whenever you wish to.

However, if you have problems understanding the same, please do consult the support. They are very helpful and supportive. They shall even send you sample codes to get started with.

If you do not mind, please mention your problems, so that we can help you out. Patience is the best way to learn anything. As CPTrader said so that "it may look tough in the beginning but it shall be easy in the future".

#40     Jul 2, 2008