PRIME Suggestions

Discussion in 'Music, Movies and TV' started by Magna, May 7, 2024.

1. Magna

Magna Administrator

I thought it would be good to have a sister thread to the Netflix Suggestions, but with Amazon since they have a nice selection of movies and original features (movies, series). This month some of the films they've added for "free" to Prime members (in alphabetical order):

• 12 Angry Men (1957) - the great original with Henry Fonda, Lee J. Cobb, Martin Balsam
    • A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001) - Spielberg directed, William Hurt, Jude Law
    • Airplane! (1980) - great farce, lotsa laughs
    • Anatomy of a Murder (1959) - murder trial with Ben Gazzara, Lee Remick, Jimmy Stewart, George C. Scott
    • Beautiful Girls (1996) - often overlooked, Matt Dillon, Uma Thurman, Lauren Holly, young Natalie Portman
    • BlacKkKlansman (2018) - Spike Lee directed, not his best but always interesting
    • Breathless (1983) - early Richard Gere, stunning Valerie Kaprisky
    • Erin Brockovich (2000) - Julia Roberts, Albert Finney
    • Fatal Attraction (1987) - the ultimate wacko-chick movie with Michael Douglas, Glenn Close, Anne Archer
    • Gattaca (1997) - sci-fi flick with Uma Thurman, Ethan Hawke, Jude Law
    • Glory (1989) - great early Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman
    • Malcolm X (1992) - excellent Spike Lee dir, Denzel Washington at his best
    • On the Waterfront (1954) - Brando is superb, Rod Steiger, Karl Malden
    • Panic Room (2002) - David Fincher directed, Jodie Foster, Jared Leto, very young Kristen Stewart
    • Psycho (1960) - the original Hitchcock classic, Anthony Perkins
    • Rear Window (1954) - one of Alfred Hitchcock's best, Jimmy Stewart, Grace Kelly, Raymond Burr
    • Run Lola Run (1998) - cool what-if 3 scenario story, Franka Potente (from Bourne Identity)
    • Schindler's List (1994) - Spielberg dir, tough movie to watch but worth it
    • Serpico (1973) - brilliant early Al Pacino
    • Some Like it Hot (1959) - classic Billy Wilder dir, Marilyn Monroe at her sexiest, Jack Lemmon, Tony Curtis
    • The Accused (1988) - excellent Jody Foster, Kelly McGillis
    • The Big Chill (1983) - fabulous cast, one of the best soundtracks ever
    • The Blues Brothers (1980) - Belushi & Aykroyd, great musical cameos (Ray Charles, James Brown, Aretha Franklin)
    • The Deer Hunter (1979) - DeNiro, Christopher Walken, excellent but brutal Vietnam War flick
    • The Holdovers (2023) - Paul Giamatti, Da'Vine Joy Randolph
    • The Last Detail (1973) - great early Jack Nicholson
    • The Man From Earth (2007) - fascinating story of a man who never dies
    • Whiplash (2014) - J.K. Simmons won Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor
    • Wrath of Man (2021) - Guy Ritchie directed, Jason Statham, Scott Eastwood, moody revenge flick

If you are familiar with any of the Amazon original movies, or especially series, pls post a description and your assessment as I often fail to notice them.

EdgeHunter likes this.
  2. notagain

notagain

Gattaca is great with Gore Vidal.

nitrene and EdgeHunter like this.
  3. Magna... A lot of good recommendations that I have watched... TY...

Three very good Sci Fi's ... One a movie that other two TV Episode Series
    Tomorrow War
    Fringe
    The Boys

TV Episode Series... With A Military Twist...
    The Terminal List

Magna likes this.
  4. nitrene

nitrene

All great movies I've seen.

Gattaca
    has a lot of great character actors in it like Gore Vidal, Alan Arkin & Loren Dean. Its probably the best adaptation of Huxley's Brave New World I've seen.

Schindler's List & The Deer Hunter are great movies with endless great actors in it but you can't watch it too many times -- its too depressing.

John Cazale filmed The Deer Hunter while he was dying of Cancer. Him & Meryl Streep were supposed to get married but it never happened. He was a very good actor who was also great in Dog Day Afternoon and of course Godfather I & II.

I read that the little girl with a red dress who gets killed in the Krakow Ghetto was a turning point for Schindler in his decision to help the Jews survive. That red dress was the only color through most of the movie besides the ending.

Magna likes this.