Primal / Paleo Diet

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rehoboth, Mar 23, 2012.

1. He had grain in there and was probably eating it his whole life. There is a study that shows people who first start agriculture were smaller and had shorter life spans then the hunter gathers of the time.

#21     Mar 24, 2012
  2. nursebee

nursebee

Yes, I've used some Paleo principles since Nov 2011.
    High weight was around 297
    I am now 253, aiming for 190 which is mid range healthy BMI.
    My lab work was never a problem, and has not changed.

I beleive there is too much emphasis on calorie counting. Don't believe it, do some investigating. Compare what you read on carbs with how a diabetic manages life. It is the carbs consumed that dictates the insulin taken. The same thing happens in the non diabetic body. Eat a lot of carbs, produce a lot of insulin which fuels energy storage/fat production. The only way to lose the fat is to burn it off through ketosis. To enter ketosis you have to not have enough carbs in your gut, then burn off the stored muscle glycogen in order to trigger breakdown of fats for energy. Eat some carbs to stop the process. Paleo and adkins advocate finding the right amount of carbs to maintain a healthy weight based upon lifestyle and energy needs. As I am comfortable dropping weight now, I generally consume less than 20g a day.

The movie "Fat sick and Nearly dead" was very interesting. Heel spur pain was my tipping point to get me started. Life has been good to me that I could enjoy too much food and too many carbs.

Mainly I've been on a prolonged Atkins induction. Without exercise I lose slowly, but I really get a good ketosis with regular Karate classes, they help to bust me through plateaus. I will continue Atkins like until I get closer to goal weight, then add in per Paleo Primal. I only drink black coffee, water, dry red wines. I started during a week vacation, did okay without insomnia or induction flu.

Everyone notices the difference.

I think I will eat a pound of bacon and some scrambled eggs for breakfast!

#22     Mar 26, 2012
  3. " all large populations of healthy, trim people have lived on starch-based diets. We are obliged to eat starch, and failure to eat this way, means failure to thrive -- both as individuals and as civilizations."John McDougall, MD

plant based simple carbs, no sugar no dairy.

#23     Mar 26, 2012
  4. Somehow I don't think thaat's the paleo message. :D

#24     Mar 26, 2012
  5. nursebee

nursebee

I figured someone would argue with my success!

Actually I am eating fresh homegrown asparagus.

#25     Mar 26, 2012
  6. What success you drropped a few pounds BFD. Dropping weight is only about cals in vs out. Simple math equation aand nothing more.

#26     Mar 26, 2012
  7. people have had success losing pounds on an atkins/gary truabes type diet due to calorie restriction. the problem is you open yourself up to all kinds of other problems like heart disease and cancer. i hear a heart bypass is a tough painfull expensive operation. i would rather avoid that.

#27     Mar 26, 2012
  8. Brass

Brass

Yeah, but keep it up and it'll bring you a lot closer to the big sleep.

#28     Mar 26, 2012
  9. lescor

lescor

I've been eating mostly paleo since last fall. Prior to that, I ate pretty much anything I wanted, never paid much attention to diet, but ate relatively well, not much processed foods. My background is endurance sports, and I'd always eaten a high carb diet. I never gained weight, but also had a very high activity level, training upwards of 20 hours a week.

Decided to actually learn about nutrition and see if it made a difference in how I felt or performed. Since I was already healthy, I didn't expect to notice much of a difference. But it did have a noticeable difference in my energy levels throughout the day. Felt better while working out and didn't get tired mid day, also never hungry. Without changing how I worked out, I also added muscle mass. Some of the chubbier guys I train switched as well and noticed dramatic weight loss and increased energy.

It is absolutely not a calorie restricted diet, you eat as much as you want. Eat when you're hungry, stop when you're full. That's one of the reasons it's so easy to follow. I don't even like to call it a 'diet' since that conjures up ideas of something that tries to get you to hit a weight then stop. It's really more of a lifestyle change and changing how you think about food.

The biggest thing for me though was taking time to do real research with an open mind and really try to learn what worked and why and if it was backed up by actual studies. Paleo is, and the anecdotal evidence is just too strong to ignore.

#29     Mar 26, 2012
  10. lescor

lescor

Completely untrue. The research supports the opposite conclusion.

#30     Mar 26, 2012