PRIIPS KID on IB

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by d08, Jun 17, 2018.

1. It's just ETFs.

#61     Jun 19, 2018
  2. Yes, I believe so.

#62     Jun 19, 2018
  3. It's very hard if not impossible to change to a US broker based in the US if you are not living in the US. I tried with multiple brokers. Ever since Sep 11 2001 they clamped down.

I feel lucky I can trade with IB (as Ameritrade, Schwab etc said no way if not American or living there). I just have to change from IB UK to IB US. Pain in the a** though and the European regulators are as dumb as.... Good on the UK for leaving.

#63     Jun 19, 2018
  4. Its not about the prospectus. It is about a 2-3 page summary called a KID required by the EU regulators since 01-01-2018. A new thing,

#64     Jun 19, 2018
  5. That would be good. Where did you get that list from?

#65     Jun 19, 2018
  6. It is about ALL ETFs. It only applies to European investors. It is to "protect" European investors.

Many of the European domiciled ETFS have supplied a KID (2-3 pager) so can be traded. The problem is European domiciled ETFS are generally so much less liquid and with wider spreads and higher fees than the US ones.

#66     Jun 19, 2018
  7. #67     Jun 19, 2018
  8. I think it is impossible to open an account with IB US for European residents. I tried to switch few years ago and IB said no.

#68     Jun 19, 2018
  9. What are the Options market for the EU version of these ETFs? I'm thinking this regulation does not help protect European investors.

However, to be fair, a large number of European retail investors (mom & pop) do the very simple buy & hold as part of a long term pension fund / retirement plan / etc. And are not active traders (like those on this forum). So there may not even be much of a demand from EU domiciled traders for US domiciled ETFs.

#69     Jun 19, 2018
    d08 likes this.
  10. d08

d08

I'd agree but these were implemented earlier in the year and planned for years beforehand. Western/Southern Europe is a bureaucratic mess, eastern and northern countries should really distance themselves from this "union" but I don't see this happening.
    Where I am now (Baltics), much of the economy is dependent on EU funding, it's buying them cars and houses and they will in turn buy the politicians.

#70     Jun 19, 2018