priceactionlab questions

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by luisHK, Jun 10, 2011.

1. LeeD

LeeD

I guess priceactionlab is dead then.

#21     Jul 24, 2011
  2. Do you think you are alive? Ask around you. Your wife hopes you are dead so she can run away with that young pizza delivery boy, your kids think you are brain dead, your relatives wish you are dead :) ...and you sit around wondering about multicore computers...

#22     Jul 25, 2011
  3. jprad

jprad

I have to agree.

After doing a trial I got peppered with constant hard-sell emails from them.

Came across as some sort of pathetic escalation sell campaign.

#23     Jul 25, 2011
  4. I find this program very useful and the Harris blog very informative. His market calls are precise and valuable. I have learned a lot from him and his program in the last 4 years.

Not too long ago I inquired about a statistics program and I keep getting emails everyday from them, literally. That does not reduce the usefulness of the program and I do not complain. There is always a remove option in marketing emails. I recommend making use of that.

#24     Jul 25, 2011
  5. LeeD

LeeD

I have to admit this is the first time I used "flaming" to "bump" the thread... and it worked wonderfully. Sadly, no one replied to my original question...

#25     Jul 26, 2011
  6. They offer solutions for 2 and 4 cores. Regardless of how important that is, I have tried in the past some programs that claim multicore processing and often they either run on one core or hang. It also depends on the nature of the algorithm. I think their solution is kinda crude but it works. Just go tot their website and you will see a link on the home page.

Edit: actually, now that I recall, if you are going to run searches on different symbols you can use multiple instances and run as many instances as the number of cores.

#26     Jul 26, 2011
  7. LeeD

LeeD

Your answer is much appreciated!

I am considering upgrade to a 24-core system. So, if priceactionlab scaled near linearly with the number of cores, that would be a great upgrade. My current systen has only 2 cores. So, I am not in a position to judge the scalability from personal experience.

#27     Jul 26, 2011
  8. Pls keep in mind I'm not a computer expert.:)

Do you have price action lab? if not, I think you should first try a demo with multiple instance capability. I'm not sure they offer that normally but if I were to invest in such a solution I would demand a test first to see if I would get what I am aiming for. Specifically, if you can run searches on 24 different symbols that would be a dramatic increase in throughput and possible the basis for a good edge in that respect.

If I understand this correctly, you could make 24 different installations of the program and then write a stript in windows to start execution of all of them working on different searches.

That would be very cool. By the way, what type of machine you are talking about? You got me all interested in spending some money:)

#28     Jul 26, 2011
  9. JackR

JackR

#29     Jul 26, 2011
  10. LeeD

LeeD

Thanks for the link!

Besides using only 2 or 4 cores the biggest restriction is

(3) Patterns found after running different copies of the program cannot be merged in a common database
    That's a very good suggestion. Thanks! In particular, before following the link JackR posted I didn't realise "multiple instance capability" was not a part of the standard installation.

24 different symbols... Sounds like it could, for example, run simultaneously on all most liquid US futures at the same time.

Are the search results stored in a database? Or can they be exported onto a spreadsheet? It would be very nice to query results in order to see if there are patterns that work on more than one instrument.

For example, if a pattern has a strong edge, I would expect it to work (better or worse) on all US equity futures...

After following JackR's link I understand the maximum number of installations is 4 per machine. Also each installation will have to have its own copy of the data.

I am thinking more along the lines of intalling priceactionlab in a virtual machine and then branching 2 dozens of virtual machines from there as "linked clones". I need to check how this sits with the terms of the license... technically there will be a single priceactiaon lab installation used on a single physical machine.

I got inspired by an article in Tom's Hardware:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/xeon-x5680-5600-series-westmere-ep,2692.html

In single-threaded applications top range series 5600 Xeons still beat 2nd generation Core i5/i7 (unless it's a seriously overclocked i7 2600k).

#30     Jul 27, 2011