Price or implied volatility?

Discussion in 'Options' started by clarodina, Dec 22, 2010.

1. tomk96

tomk96

you should be making trades based on risk/reward. if you think you have a sure thing by selling, there is nothing wrong with that trade whether the IV is high or low.

i'd rather sell vol, even with a low premium, at the top of it's range than sell a high premium option and the bottom of it's range.

#11     Dec 23, 2010
  2. Why is that implied volatility does not matters for holding options to expiration? Would not decrease implied volatility decrease the value of call and puts even holding to expiration?

#12     Dec 24, 2010
  3. MTE

MTE

Changes in implied vol only affect market to market value prior to expiration. At expiration there is no time value left in an option, so implied vol is irrelevant.

#13     Dec 24, 2010
  4. spindr0

spindr0

Let's see if I have this right. If the OP is holding his option until expiration, he should be concerned that delta is highly sensitive to the implied vol, especially for very wingy options? Whoooaaa-kay :)

#14     Dec 24, 2010
  5. spindr0

spindr0

Holding until expiration means take a vacation. Visit Rip Van Winkle for a month. Recover from a coma. Get released from incarceration :). Return for expiration Friday to deal with the position.

Now your options are either at intrinsic or worthless. Does it matter that while you were away, they may have done something?

#15     Dec 24, 2010
  6. tomk96

tomk96

there is no volatility in the options at expiration. they expire worthless or into stock or cash (so parity).

#16     Dec 24, 2010
  7. sle

sle

All you have done is substituted market implied vol with our own, the "marking" vol would still effect your rebalancing P&L.

Btw, this also assumes that you are managing your book on some form of volatility prediction (very few people I know do that). This type of vol management can produce a pretty "interesting" P&L profile in some cases.

#17     Dec 24, 2010
  8. sle

sle

We were talking about trading in underlying, in case you did not read the original post. Delta is pretty relevant in that case.

#18     Dec 24, 2010