Price of an algorithm for automated trading.

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Unit001, Jun 9, 2009.

How much would you pay?

1. 1 million

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  2. 10 million

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  3. 100 million

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  4. 1 billion

13 vote(s)
    48.1%
  1. In what bizzarre parallel universe does Mark Brown have any reputation other than as a ghastly little self-promoter? I can assure you that no one in the upper echelons of the industry in either Chicago or New York has ever heard of Mr.Brown, self-annointed guru.

Beau is a graduate of a fifth tier college somewhere in Tennessee. In addition to his educational deficit, he has little or no relevant experience, having worked at approximately zero industry firms.

What is your academic background TSGG? At which university did you take your degree? What was the title of your thesis?

#31     Jun 10, 2009
  2. Unit001

Unit001

something doesn't smell here, something doesn't smell good

based on everything you wrote, you seem to be some kind of small time amateur who thinks 10 k is a lot of money
    you seem to have difficulty with simple DDE API implementation, you claim you need IT resources
    you seem to not have a problem with code sharing with your IT people, and satisfying yourself with 20% payout
    you seem to expect your algorithm to work for a little while and then throw it out and make something new

at best you are a man with potential but because of your naivety, companies screwed you out of your profits and left you as forever an amateur

sad :(

#32     Jun 10, 2009
  3. MB is well known around my group of people. I'm not going to go around proclaiming who's friends and groups are better.

And... I'm a kindergarden dropout. :p

#33     Jun 10, 2009
  4. CBuster

CBuster

Sometimes this board is unbelievable. TSGG, despite his occassional outbursts and crazy threads, is one of the more accomplished and advanced system developers / traders that I know of on this board. When posed a serious question he almost always responds thoughtfuly and helpfuly.

Then you come along with the most dumb-ass question to start a thread and a few posts later start looking down your nose at others. Madness.

By all means throw reasoned arguments but don't skim-read posts and then attack. TSGG specifically mentions that the 10k seed money / lack of coding skills occured at the start of his career. Things can change mate....

#34     Jun 10, 2009
    MarkBrown likes this.
  5. You're exactly correct.

1. I only expect a model to work for a little while.

2. 10K with 20% payout sucks. I had to start somewhere as a systematic trader / developer and that's where I started. Though, that's the reality I was provided with and I took it. No hard feelings.

3. I couldn't program in any API/DDE. But the experience led me to motivate myself to learn Python and eventually C#.

#35     Jun 10, 2009
  6. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

If you ever sell it, send me an autograph of the guy.

#36     Jun 10, 2009
  7. Unit001

Unit001

if you truly believe this, you will always be a loser

I obviously develop very different models than you
    For god's sake man, what are you doing, are you placing trades randomly with 1:2 RR and are hoping trend and volatility lasts

surely you learned a few things over the years, very hard for me to imagine that some people spin in circle for years and not learn a thing

#37     Jun 10, 2009
  8. Serious reply...

A typical hedge fund charges 1-10 these days or 2-20 a while back...

What would be the difference between hedge funds and me looking for a firm that would implement my system? What kind of a hedge fund would require the investor to do their IT work for them?

There's plenty of developers like me or who are better, that runs their business within those norms. No one is making you do the same and I didn't make the rules. It's just the environment I was in and I'm only sharing my experience.

#38     Jun 10, 2009
  9. Unit001

Unit001

it just doesn't seem like it's working out for you, it also seems you've been at it for years, I hope you are young and have time to try different things

I am 27, even if something was to happen bad, I could do something else at 35. I hope you are in the same or better situation. Good Luck.

#39     Jun 10, 2009
  10. :D :D :D

#40     Jun 10, 2009