Price of an algorithm for automated trading.

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Unit001, Jun 9, 2009.

How much would you pay?

1. 1 million

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  2. 10 million

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  3. 100 million

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  4. 1 billion

13 vote(s)
    48.1%
  1. Any algorithm is as smart as the person that wrote it.

Markets change and those algorithms will need to be continually tweaked... which I doubt can be consistently done successfully.

I wouldn't buy an algorithm because no one knows when the markets will change and how much time is left for profitability.

#11     Jun 9, 2009
  2. If you can pay for it, then you do not need it

there is the paradox you are looking for.

or maybe someone could call it a straw man argument.

#12     Jun 9, 2009
  3. Corey

Corey

How that is even close to a 'straw man' argument, I would love to know...

#13     Jun 9, 2009
  4. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

i have published systems for free that made that much like the oddball system in active trader dec 2000 and another one in active trader may 2004...

m

btw i did sell an algo for 5 million and to my knowledge that is the most anyone has ever gotten for a single mechanical trading system. it trades of all things metals not gold or silver though think light.

#14     Jun 9, 2009
  5. #15     Jun 9, 2009
  6. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

typically i agree with the above - only because you don't know that i have computers which make their own systems based on criteria and materials i feed it. then i have to learn what the computer has done to understand what it has found. from there i test further using a bounding method to see what conditions would have to do to make it fail working in the future. those risk params are then incorporated into the system. m

#16     Jun 9, 2009
  7. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

wow i have never had a losing month myself. sorry about your luck! m

#17     Jun 9, 2009
  8. Unit001

Unit001

if this is true, how did you solve the problem of proving it works and not giving it away until money transfers to your account?

I would ask for at least 40 million.

#18     Jun 9, 2009
  9. Unit001

Unit001

At this point my opinion is that your system is worthless
    equity curve looks ugly, but not only that, I would need a whole lot more data in order to see if your system is worthy anything
    8 times more, and I am not kidding

you are asking for 8 million based on trades so far, sorry old boy, I would not be a buyer (at this point)

#19     Jun 9, 2009
  10. Unit001

Unit001

sorry to scold you some more, but as a system designer myself, I would never trust collective 2 with it
    if collective2 involves any kind of code sharing with that site
    you would never see me do business with them

I call it common sense :)

#20     Jun 9, 2009