Price Increase for Feeds If Classified Professional?

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by ChadZ1, Feb 15, 2017.

1. ChadZ1

ChadZ1

I presume the reason Interactive Brokers gives me a questionnaire when I subscribe to new feeds is to determine if I'm a professional and charge me more if I am. I was thinking of wrapping all my investing in a corporation for tax purposes, which it seems would cause me to be classified as a professional. So, can anyone give me a sense of how much the fees, especially stock order books tend to increase? Will it go from ~$25/book to hundreds or thousands for a level 2 feed?

Side note: does anyone know how the questionnaire to determine professional status is generally handled? Is there discretion in the decision involved or does it follow strict rules? For example, for IB I noticed it asks if you live off of only your trading proceeds. Even if not incorporated and trading on a personal account, would answering yes to that automatically cause one to be classified as professional? If you make sufficient profit will they classify you as a professional?

2. southall

southall

This is what IB charge clients for professional data fees on monthly basis:

Quote Bundles

• Professional US Securities Snapshot Bundle 10.00 USD

Level 1(NBBO)

• AMEX (Network B/CTA)23.00 USD
    • Aequitas NEO10.00 USD
    • CFE Enhanced7.50 USD
    • Canadian Exchange Group (TSX/TSXV)73.00 USD
    • Mexican Derivatives15.00 USD
    • Mexican Stock Exchange32.00 USD
    • Montreal Derivatives43.00 CAD
    • NASDAQ (Network C/UTP)23.00 USD
    • NYSE (Network A/CTA) Billed by Broker45.00 USD
    • NYSE (Network A/CTA) Billed by NYSE45.00 USD
    • OPRA (US Options Exchanges)32.75 USD
    • OTC Markets30.00 USD

Level II (Deep Book)
    • ISE Options60.00 USD
    • Montreal Derivatives54.50 CAD
    • NASDAQ BX TotalView43.00 USD
    • NASDAQ Options Market60.00 USD
    • NASDAQ TotalView-OpenView86.50 USD
    • NASDAQ TotalView-OpenView EDS10.00 USD
    • NYMEX Real-Time90.00 USD
    • NYSE AMEX Options60.00 USD
    • NYSE Arca Options60.00 USD
    • NYSE ArcaBook40.00 USD
    • NYSE OpenBook60.00 USD
    • OTC Global EquitiesFee Waived
    • OTC Markets80.00 USD
    • OneChicago Futures1.00 USD
    • TSX Venture Market by Price16.00 USD
    • Toronto Market by Price30.00 USD

Other
    • NYSE MKT Order ImbalancesFee Waived
    • NYSE Order ImbalancesFee Waived

ChadZ1 likes this.
  3. Daal

Daal

All brokers I have dealt with charge pro fees for corporations, even if the corporation is run by a homesless person just looking to earn income for food.

ChadZ1 likes this.
  4. I got hit with that questionnaire out of the blue a few weeks ago after the yearly profile update. It seemed strange to me but if I didn't fill it out they threatened to cut off my data.

5. Xela

Xela

I'm no lawyer, but I think you may be mistaken about that, if it's your own money only.

I think that for feed-payment purposes, what matters is whether you're trading OPM?

ChadZ1 and southall like this.
  6. speedo

speedo

Zela is correct. I trade under my corporation but as I trade my own funds, I did not have to open under "professional".

ChadZ1, southall and Xela like this.
  7. southall

southall

ChadZ1, Xela, drm7 and 1 other person like this.
  8. jharmon

jharmon

The next price gouge from the exchanges is "non display usage". You should see the fees for that!

9. I actually just went through this with tradestation. Because I trade through a corporation data fees went from $46/mth to $397/mth. Thankfully I can just write this off EOY

#10     Feb 15, 2017