"Price goes to size"

Discussion in 'Trading' started by TraDaToR, Jan 5, 2011.

1. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

You are talking Time § Sales, or printed size here, not size displayed in DOM, right?

#11     Jan 5, 2011
  2. Yes, more so with NYSE stocks then anything else... that's because a certain person with big pockets has a HUGE incentive to make the big orders get filled...

When I first started I was like... wow look at that big order.... surely it can't go through there... I will just get long / short in front and get out if the order breaks... of course you know what happens...

Now sometimes I'm very comfortable taking size on a trade 1-2c above / below the large orders because I know they are going to get filled and I will have my cover there as well. Also when I have a position from further above/below I actually get more comfort when I see a large order because I'm confident it will get tested at the very least.

What makes me more nervous is when I don't see any large orders...

#12     Jan 5, 2011
  3. All are good signal generators.

The context is usually an annotated Vand P chart.

To bridge into the potential future, T&S filles in the V, P chart and also modifies the DOM by netting down the sides of the ladder.

The DOM emphasizes the several games played by big money in the hundreds and thousands columns.

the key leading influence is the imbalance with respect to the Premium which is where you can monitor the interface between cash and indexes. Part of the time there is a divergence and other times there is a regression.

The very cool topic price goes to size is subtle and more counterintuitive than usually meets the eye.

To frontrun the opportunities, you often have to examine where size is finding its counterparties. Here the "capacity" of a market to handle size is a determinent. This is where volatility comes from as potential size displayed on the DOM becomes reality on T&S and goes into the "comparable record" book of the V, P charts.

I use the things you mention as monitoring and analysis tools. That was the intention of the 9 tables in the Sweeps Chart" of many years back. By steering and focusing on the successive creen panes you get ot see price go to size.

In markets trends have segments where dominance occurs twice and is separated by non dominance driving price in between. I trade all three segments and I ue extremes of sizing to signal the "change" between the segments.

All of BO trading is the lagging traders getting into positions at the end of trend overlaps. To frontrun these types, using the price goes to size on the prior trend failure to traverse turning point at peaking size.

I watch the block size modulation for the above contexts. For prints, I always regard partial fills on my rversals as indicators of the delta in market cpacitiy. As the day goes on postioning takes more and more partials; this lowers effectivenes. Later, after settlement, the pm flows and blocks shows more capacity is there. the sums on each side of the DOM can be used for two sizing contexts. first the sums themselves and cond their balance. The balnceis more of a counterparty sensitivity and it is usually counterintuitive.

For whatever reason, I wound up using market PACE (volumetric size ranges) to determine the volatility and overlap propensities for trending strength or regression contexts. This gaussian distribution is one of the coolest indicaors of how size relates to price dynamics.

I sweep to observe the leading to trade the lagging. Price goes to size. (this is an event rate of change function.)

One thing that will never change is the minset of those who see my posts as rants. This must be the priceless class.

#13     Jan 5, 2011
  4. Thanks for the heads up, I was afraid something might have leaked by accident.

#14     Jan 5, 2011
  5. #15     Jan 5, 2011
  6. speres

speres

price discovery

#16     Jan 5, 2011
  7. Nope, need not worry. Nearly 12,000 posts and you still seem like you're at day one.

#17     Jan 5, 2011
  8. pspr

pspr

Did you check your pants? :p

#18     Jan 5, 2011
  9. I think it depends on what mood the market is in and what market.
    Ive never seen anything like that on eurodollars, since size is everywhere I think.
    On oil I have seen it a fair bit

#19     Jan 5, 2011
  10. Seriously, can you imagine how I'd feel if I revealed something of value to the ingrates and posers who infest this board?

Close one.

#20     Jan 5, 2011