Price driven charts - Do you adjust settings based on changes in volatility?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by Laissez Faire, Mar 7, 2018.

1. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Many years ago I use to think that threads like this that talked about chart settings/parameters without anyone posting any chart examples were strange.

Yet, early 2007 I met a clever guy that was able to determine how I traded just via seeing my posted charts...I adjusted my charts as volatility changed.

After that...I stopped posting images of my charts. :D

#21     Mar 17, 2018
    Xela and Laissez Faire like this.
  2. The chart/volatility study itself remains constant. If tweaked after the data printed, you’re curve fitting. Only reason to tweak it would be for learning, research, and development of a trade plan.

It’s monthly value does change, and this gets refactored into my quant model when trading same instruments. With enough samples and walk-forward time, you start figuring out when and what to trade. The sweet spots constantly shift since volatility is unpredictable. This is why you need a constrained model, otherwise you’ll chase your tail forever.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    #22     Mar 17, 2018
    Laissez Faire likes this.
  3. I think that you sum up the point up well here - Although I would have thought - I update values of my volatility study has and when needed would suit more appropriate term.

#23     Mar 17, 2018