price channels

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by reactor, Apr 17, 2003.

1. reactor

reactor

hey people!

can pricing channels be condsidered a form of support and resistance indicator?

thanks for your time folks!

2. maxpi

maxpi

If they are set up right. Worthy of some backtesting time for sure.

Max

3. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

Try using bollinger bands and keltner channels for back testing. I got some decent results on them on TradeStation.

4. gms

gms

reactor: There's a substantial fact to be infered from bobcathy1's post, and that is that BB and Keltner will each give you different prices for your S/R. What's more, different settings for those different indicators will give you different prices. What's more, different time frames for those different settings for those different indicators will give you different prices. Whew. So, in short, S/R is effective so long as a good number of people get active at the same price, which is probably more key than which indicator, or which setting, or which time frame.

5. For price channels, I lean toward them too. :)

6. reactor

reactor

thanks for the reply guys!

im using a minute graph on the FTSE 100 cash index to spreadbet on it, along with a parabolic SAR for early exiting. it seems ok. i might have to read a book about charting to identify trend and S/R lines more easily as the only obvious S/R line is the opening price line.

i'll keep you folks updated with my progress!