Price Action With Python?

Discussion in 'App Development' started by Money Trust, Oct 1, 2019.

1. pipeguy

pipeguy

Thanks it was extremely useful. You charged me with some optimism about creating my own EA since I have some math background but lack guidance about how to implement it quickly into code.

#11     Oct 6, 2019
    tommcginnis likes this.
  2. jonahern

jonahern

I have dipped my toe in trying to learn how to do something like this and haven't gotten very far - do you have any open source code online?

#12     Dec 5, 2019
  3. This guy knows what he's talking about.

#13     Dec 5, 2019
  4. I been programming in java for 1 year or so. Never coded in anything else (vba yes) and now trying to get my hand on python. Read a few books but finding it difficult. Firstly, most python books tend to be of lower quality and less formal than java books (usually college texts). Secondly i find the python structure (or lack of it) confusing

#14     Dec 11, 2019
  5. I was the same, coming from C++. It took me a long time to "get" Python. The zen of Python:

Some applicability to trading as well.

#15     Dec 11, 2019
  6. So you "get" it now? i can see it can be powerful due to looser syntax etc, but being used to a formal language, i find the python codes a bit too informal and too 'on-the-fly' making it difficult to understand

#16     Dec 11, 2019
  7. The perceived informality makes it much easier to ruthlessly refactor and allows you to simplify, simplify, simplify. This will be extremely valuable to you in the future. For example, I have price collection code that goes back 6 months that I didn't touch until recently and following the "Zen of Python", purely through practice, made it really easy to modify.

If your Python code looks like Java, run.

#17     Dec 11, 2019
  8. Basically, Python code eventually ends up looking like your thoughts about what should happen and less like Python. This takes years.

In comparison, C++ "refactoring" often looks like more C++. And from what I've seen of Java refactoring with Big Enterprise Systems (TM), Java refactoring looks more Enterprise Big System.

That's not to say there cannot be beautifully written C++ and Java. But idiomatic "beautiful" C++ and Java don't look like your thoughts. Maybe I just think in Python now.

#18     Dec 11, 2019
    lovethetrade and Axon like this.
  9. I came across many good books when learning java (effective java, david eck, etc) but all python books i have come across thus far read like a soap opera. Schools teach programming using java, so can't find any textbooks on python.

#19     Dec 11, 2019
  10. I would probably agree with your assessment that the amount of information is limited. However, that is mostly due to the fact that the Python PEPs and documentation are enough. I read through this my first go around (though for version 2): https://docs.python.org/3/tutorial/index.html

Very little I have had problems with language-wise, most to do with use of libraries.

#20     Dec 11, 2019