Price Action Traders

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by bearmountain, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Mark, if you think appropiate could you please outline how you read price action? do you look at classic HH/HL etc.

second how do you measure volatility, what factors go into your analysis of what type of trading day will it be, do you determine that before the market open etc.

Thanks, just trying to learn. Its good to hear how actual PA traders do it.

#31     Jul 16, 2010
  2. Hey Gabby, thanks again for the book precis. Saved me a bunch of money. So many people here like it that I was about to break my rule never to buy another trading book again. My profit stop triggered at 1821 so I am avoiding looking at the market until the close by annoying people here. Interesting conversation you are having with Mark. Sounds familiar, haha!

#32     Jul 16, 2010
  3. deaddog

deaddog

How to read Al Brooks:

As NoDoji said start with the glossary.
    Next read the “Trading Guideline”

Randomly pick a chapter and read it.
    Spend 2 or 3 days looking at a 5 minute chart with no indicators.
    Re read the chapter.
    Re read the guide line.

Rinse and repeat.

It is a tough read and it takes a while.

#33     Jul 16, 2010
  4. Are you making (more) money using it?

#34     Jul 16, 2010
  5. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Yeah...TF own volatility speaks loudly. However, it has its duration during the trading day where the price action is choppy, noisy or just darn confusing. When that happens...especially after I enter a position, other markets I follow can help clear the picture just as long as they too aren't doing the same thing.

If they are...I'm sidelined (not trading).

To answer the other part of your question...if I was Long TF and ES falter...I would not exit my position based upon the price action of one market outside of TF which is why I follow several different markets. Thus, I need to see the price action in several different markets...not just one.

Mark

#35     Jul 16, 2010
  6. Don't necessarily go by my assessment alone. I only read about a third or so of the book and leafed through the remainder. I was thrilled with neither the content nor the presentation. But that's just me. Since other people here at ET swear by the book, perhaps there are nuggets inside that I missed. However, as deaddog and others elsewhere reported, it is a tough read. I find this surprising since one would think that a doctor should be able to express himself about something as relatively pedestrian as price action somewhat more clearly and succinctly.

#36     Jul 16, 2010
  7. deaddog

deaddog

If you are talking about the book.

Yes it has helped the way I think and trade and the bottom line.
    I won't give all the credit to the book as my system was evolving and I may have ended up in the same place without it.

Every little bit helps.

#37     Jul 16, 2010
  8. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Sorry, I don't discuss the in-depth details of my trading approach other than just the general stuff I usually mention here at ET. There's many ways to measure volatility without using an indicator. You can use the price action of another trading instrument like the VXX exchange traded fund. You can use contraction/expansion analysis, you can use narrow range analysis, you can use HH/HL, you can use global economic calendars, intermarket analysis or whatever and in any combination. There's no magic bullet...pick a topic, learn and apply a few years and eventually you'll see the volume or volatility in price itself.

To keep it general, to answer the other question, I look at volatility after the close (hindsight), before the open (help with my initial positions) and during trading (adapting to changes).

Last of all, trade signals is just one chapter in the book of trading and not the most important chapter although it is important. If you haven't figure that out after a few years of trading...best to call it quits.

Mark

#38     Jul 16, 2010
  9. Thanks for your reply, DeadDog. I am an OldDog, nearly dead. Sometimes that final push to trading success comes unexpectedly. If indeed the book did it to some extent for you, it was a great investment.

#39     Jul 16, 2010
  10. Okay, I'm just going to be a devil's advocate and general nuisance here. Since you follow other markets and at times trade them as well, then if you are holding a position in, say, TF and its price action is choppy and noisy, whereas one or more of the other markets you follow and occasionally trade are relatively clear, then why would you not switch to one of those other markets during such price action, even if it means exiting a go-nowhere TF trade? Personally, I can't see the virtue of remaining in a choppy, noisy and downright indeterminate market.

As for the other part, how many different markets would have to falter before you gave up on a performing TF trade? And if it is a multiple, then how often does that sort of thing generally happen in your trading, where these other markets collectively provide more usable information than the traded market itself? I'm not being argumentative. Genuine question.

#40     Jul 16, 2010