Pressure rises on pastor who wants to burn Quran

Discussion in 'Politics' started by nutmeg, Sep 7, 2010.

1. The government turned up the pressure Tuesday on the head of a small Florida church who plans to burn copies of the Quran on Sept. 11, warning him that doing so could endanger U.S. troops and Americans everywhere.

http://apnews.myway.com//article/20100908/D9I3DMU80.html

--------------------------------------

The plot thickens.

2. Another mutant in the parade of geniuses from the right.

3. can't beat the free advertisement

4. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Not impressed.

Burning Qurans while eating pulled-pork sandwiches and drinking beer in the middle of Umm Al Qura, that would be impressive.

5. You never see this protest from the muslims when they do something bad to non muslims.

So why the uproar?

6. They just behead people. Isn't that worse than waterboarding?

So why no uproar?

7. "These protests, diatribes, and campaigns against Park51 violate the ideals of religious freedom to which our country has long aspired. The First Amendment of the Constitution states explicitly that.

We must not allow religious freedom to be compromised. That would be not only a loss for the American community in which we live, but also a slight to the Founding Fathers and the hopes they had for our country."

8. I find it quite interesting that you do not see such a reaction when someone is beheades, not even the other religions.

but burn a Koran, and the whole world is in an uproar. Now I think they should burn a pile of korans. I think just as the Muslims can build a minaret near the 9/11 site, Americans should have the right to burn a Koran just as well

9. I agree.

But the political and media class are desperately trying to score points and are doing nothing but making themselves out to be raging hypocrites and total frauds.

10. Exactly. It's an act that accomplishes absolutely nothing.

Sure, he has the right to publicly burn a Quran, but he should have the common sense to refrain from doing so.

What would that accomplish?
    Seven or eight years ago I probably would have been cheering this guy on, I admit. With maturity comes a recognition of the futility of these types of senseless provocations.

#10     Sep 8, 2010