President Bush orders draft reinstated!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Riskmanager, May 6, 2004.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

Well I think the draft should be mandatory too, at least for a year or two. However there is a huge difference between re-instating the draft during peace time and during a war. Big difference. If they re-instate the draft in the middle of the war, I don't think Bush will make it to the end of his 2nd term. I really believe that. Not to mention the political damage it will do to the party as a whole and to whoever runs in 2008. No way will it happen. No way.

But I do believe we should have a draft. A draft is not a bad thing and I would not be opposed to helping finance young people's college education in return for their service. I think overall it would be a good thing. Most people at 18 years of age need a wakeup call. And one or two years of service would do just that. I think it would only make our country stronger.

#11     May 6, 2004
  2. The way to stop terrorism is for the US to become a humanitarian to the world and get off this road to hell that we've been on since 1950.

This is a very rich country and we have the funds to do it. Instead we spend hundreds of billions of dollars each year trying to kill other people while supporting regimes controlled by dictators. Then we wonder why we have become a target.

After 20 disgusting years with DOD, including the Vietnam era, I know that nothing has changed in this country.and nothing ever will as long as we allow a corrupt political system to cohabit with industries that get rich from all of this destruction.

#12     May 6, 2004
  3. Maverick74

Maverick74

OK hoodooman, talk is cheap, so let's put this into action. You say we should be a humanitarian to the world. Fine, you tell us exactly how we should do that. I'm listening.

#13     May 6, 2004
  4. Mav said

OK hoodooman, talk is cheap, so let's put this into action. You say we should be a humanitarian to the world. Fine, you tell us exactly how we should do that. I'm listening.

1. Stop taking sides in violent disputes that don't concern us. Only take action if we are directly threatened.

2. Show the third world that we sincerely want to be their friends. Give them real help developing technology and infrastructure. Not just nickels and dimes but the kind of money we would spend on intercontinental ballistic missile systems, star wars, F-20's etc. Make this work show some real fundamental improvements in these peoples lives.

3. Clean up our own act. Pass laws with severe criminal penalties in order to stamp out political corruption in this country.
    For example, the Enron/Bush/Cheney no bid contract should never have happened. I was a contracts monitor for DOD and I never ever heard of anything like that before. Someone needs to be in the federal pen for that one.

4. Wipe out bigotry and religious intolerance in this country by using the public school system to provide sensitivity training in order to show how wrong and counter productive it really is. Set an example for the rest of the world with this issue.

These four suggestions would go a very long way towards changing the worlds opinion of america.

#14     May 6, 2004
  5. 4. Wipe out bigotry and religious intolerance in this country by using the public school system to provide sensitivity training in order to show how wrong and counter productive it really is.

yikes.

#15     May 6, 2004
  6. Maverick74

Maverick74

#16     May 6, 2004
  7. Mav

It was easy to see through your game and I knew what would happen if I answered you but I was trying to give you the benefit of a doubt.

You didn't fool me Mav, I was just trying to move this tread to a higher plane. My mistake.

#17     May 6, 2004
  8. Maverick74

Maverick74

No, the mistake you made was posting gibberish. I don't fault you for trying, but rather I am trying to point out to you that there is no quick fix to this problem. Especially number 4. Ultimately, parents have a very large control over their kids lives, not teachers. The values and virtues I have today I got from my parents, not from my third grade teacher.

The other things you listed were very very vague. Help third countries out? We do that now. Is it enough? I don't know. Could we do more? Sure. Is this a solution? NO, it's not.

Again, stop interfering with other countries problems. Well, again, that sounds great on paper but you have to remember sooner or later, their problem becomes our problem. I've said this before and I will say it again. When Israel and Palestine point nuclear missiles at each other, what they are really doing is pointing them at Kansas City, MO. Why? Because of something called Nuclear fallout. It's in our best interest to keep peace in the world, not for their sake, but for ours. If they want to destroy each other, they will end up destroying the whole world in the process. I don't know why you don't get this. We can't just sit on our fat McDonald's asses and do nothing. Now should we get involved in civil wars over seas or minor skirmishes? No, I don't think we should.

You see, you liberals on the left are all big on ideas and talk, but nothing ever works that you guys propose. That's because it's not based on reality, it's based on hypothetical. And we don't live in a hypothetical world I'm afraid. You can bitch and complain all you want, but you know damn well that you provided no real solutions in your post. Like I said, nothing but gibberish.

#18     May 6, 2004
  9. Great, so you are advocating that attacking Germany in WWII was the wrong thing to do. Six million jews were marched into gas chambers and we should have what, just let Hitler do his thing? Maybe hope that he would come to his senses?

:confused:

#19     May 6, 2004
  10. Mav

Your arguments were so pathetic that you had to put words in my mouth. Sad!

#20     May 6, 2004