Preserving capital?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by dantm2000, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Hehe, I was thinking of more capital here...say you knew somebody who had 20M sitting in cash right now; what would you tell her to do?

#11     Feb 12, 2009
  2. The ammunition can get that, one way or another :D

#12     Feb 13, 2009
  3. All joking aside, I have been flapping my gums about people who hold large sums of cash in the very near future are going to get wiped out. Buying up raw acreage is better than gold, just make sure that you get the mineral rights to the land. If I had 20 million in cash, I would most certainly spend half of it and find several pieces of land (diversify) with minerals and some with live water.

#13     Feb 13, 2009
  4. Actually, all you really need are the guns and ammo.

Once you have that, the rest comes pretty easily.

#14     Feb 13, 2009
  5. Aye, aye! I second that... Land (with mineral rights or not) is only good if you got guns.

#15     Feb 13, 2009
  6. Ask her to marry you :cool:

#16     Feb 13, 2009
  7. I didn't get out at the top but got out when the DOW was around 11,800. I've just been buying the dips and selling after moves of a few %. Been working well so far and I hope this continues.

If you are looking to park the money, maybe CDs?

~telengard

#17     Feb 13, 2009
  8. LeeD

LeeD

Physical gold, government inflation linked bonds (though inflation statistics is heavily tempered with you bet iflation is going up), crisis-resilient companies such as pawn shops and low-end bars

#18     Feb 13, 2009
  9. Care to explain your reasoning, why would cash get wiped out? Inflation? Something else?

#19     Feb 14, 2009
  10. Gold is one thing but if we're going through a gold bubble it will come back down eventually.

TBTs follow CPI supposedly but that is not a true sense of inflation, right? I mean it's a basket of goods that may or may not track inflation well...

#20     Feb 14, 2009