Preparing to make the move to trading full time

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by uptickk, Oct 11, 2011.

1. +1. more often than not, when someone has a plan not to succeed (the definition of a backup plan) they usually need it.

#11     Oct 12, 2011
  2. nnfx

nnfx

Thx for you honest reply. I tought you would mention charity, donations to homeless, volontary work...

Well, out of the things mentioned above there is NOT a single one that qualify for "working on a project that really creates value". (except the cupcake store...but you arent really working there...funding it means nothing).

So, if you are a trend following trader, thats fine, but dont call others who are trading more often life-wasters. Some people just enjoy the trading, the adrenaline and the excitement of playing the game and beating others in the market...and they enjoy that much more then playing paino or learning chinese...so by their standards you are the one wasting the life on "pointless" stuff...so dont be so close-minded.

#12     Oct 12, 2011
  3. I'm not closed-minded. Now I ask you: if your sole purpose of existence is hunting every tick in the market to make ends meet with a wishful thinking of becoming the next entry in the Forbes list, who of us two is more closed-minded? Your sad existence has created nothing of significance for the lives around you except for (hopefully at least) yourself. Trading is a tool to open gateways for a more fulfilled life not a goal in itself. I hope you are still a young chap, or this statement of yours reveals that you have learned nothing in life but to be ignorant. Chinese shall not be the ultimate goal, but I will be moving to Hong Kong, and do not want to appear like a stool as you white guys do in Asia. My other projects need no further clarification. Finding more wisdom in life is my ambition. Thankfully time and money are on my side. I will make good use of both. What you make of it remains to be decided by yourself. I merely pointed put the "negative" side of trading. Money will never buy you happiness.

#13     Oct 12, 2011
  4. nnfx

nnfx

Well, if you assume that everyone who is trading is doing it only for the money, then you are close-minded and you dont know much about trading. Trading is a game and its much more fun than playing piano beleive me. Money is secondary aspect of trading.

And just how does playing piano and learning chinese contribute to the world? dont be silly...u really have no argument here

My point excatly...dont be so close-minded.

Wrong. This sentence couldnt be more WRONG.
    Offcourse money cant buy u happines directly (altho i bet some people are more happy by seeing 1 million on their account then seeing negative balance) BUT money can buy you lot of happines in-directly.
    If you have money you can visit the places that u always wanted and that makes you happy....if you have money you can provide good life to your family and that makes u happy...if u have money u can donate to charity and help others and that can make you happy....u can do many many things if you have money that bring happiness to your life.
    Dont u agree?

#14     Oct 12, 2011
  5. Marcell

Marcell

Are you a pianist? A pianist would beg to differ.

#15     Oct 12, 2011
  6. nnfx

nnfx

Nope, lol, i was just trying to point out that any activity can be seen from different perspective. He called day-trading a "waste of life" activity which is very close-minded thing to say.

#16     Oct 12, 2011
  7. ignl

ignl

I agree with nnfx here, there lots of different ways to trade and of course much more different ways to live your life. For each its own. Why anybody should think that his "values" are right ones for others? Every time someone says that I HAVE to do something (be nice to other people, or contribute to society or anything like that) I immediately ask - or what? What happens if I don't contribute to other around me and enjoy trading everyday and enjoy money and be generally happy about that? I think thats what nnfx meant when speaking about close mind. Of course what Palatine is doing is very smart and I think really makes him better person.

#17     Oct 12, 2011
  8. I think you are still living in a dreamworld, nnfx. Newbies often indulge in such big thoughts of being the Messiah of the world once they have reached consistency in trading. We are not about changing humankind, but improving the life around us with the limited power we have. Specifically helping out in the neighborhood and setting examples for yourself and the few people in your life you care about, yet be aware of people who just try to make use of you. I understand that some people are just happy trading on their own, but you say that when progressing further you must go save the world. Life is much humbler than you imagine. You reach financial independence and will ultimately wonder what to do with your precious time. Reach this stage first, and then we talk further.

Donate money? What am I going to change by giving money away? I refuse to rescue random Somalians who machete each other day in, day out. These are animals for which there is no hope and they have to arise out of the mud with their own willpower, not with our Western money. I invest time in my local community if I can expect a positive outcome. Such as mentoring aspiring traders, helping the elderly do their grocery, creating businesses with partners, create friendships along the way. That's creating an impact, locally that is. I'm a nobody when compared to the big names, that is not my goal either. If people were a bit more realistic by applying common sense we would finally stop pumping money into Africa and instead make our surrounding more humane, and more enjoyable. Perhaps you would understand it if you googled my name, but I won't tell you :)

#18     Oct 12, 2011
  9. +1

#19     Oct 12, 2011
  10. Sounds like a contradiction to me, you want to help others but yet you don't agree with people helping people in Africa?? And by the way, your money doesnt have to go anywhere in Somalia, just have your pick, there are many options if your trying to help people in Africa. Your way is not the only way. There are many ways to help and i think thats what you have to realize. Helping is helping, regardless of where it is in the world and people get satisfaction from helping in other ways besides the ways you have outlined above. You sound like the know it all Messiah yourself.

#20     Oct 12, 2011