Prediction: Amazon will buy USPS

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Amun Ra, Apr 12, 2020.

1. Amun Ra

Amun Ra

If Trump doesn't bail out the post office, I'm sure this is going to happen.

2. schizo

schizo

Yeah, like Trump and Bezos are besties. :rolleyes:

3. Amun Ra

Amun Ra

Trump might not see it coming. He might be just like "let the post office fail" and not even be thinking about Amazon scooping them up.

4. Sig

Sig

Since it's a government entity it would have to be privatized before it was sold. No way in hell Bezos would buy it after its privatized unless the mandate was ended for sending a letter to anyone in the U.S. and its territories from anywhere else in the U.S. and its territories for the same congressionally determined rate. And if you ended that mandate for the current post office, it wouldn't be in the situation it's currently in. So not happening, if I could place a bet on it I'd put a substantial sum to back that prediction.

5. there is no point for AMZN to do so, they have their own logistic that would become obsolete if they did.

6. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

This is all about mail-in ballots. Trump and the GOP know they will lose if voter turnout is high.

7. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

Amazon is too smart to buy a dog like USPS

vanzandt and Genevian Speculator like this.
  8. vanzandt

vanzandt

Yeah.
    AND... after its privatized... I'm sure the Justice Department will just love that idea.
    Someone Google "The Clayton Act".
    Seems to ring a bell.

9. Amun Ra

Amun Ra

It takes decades before monopolies are broken up. AT&T had a monopoly for 100 years before they got busted up.

10. Sig

Sig

Seriously, Google the Clayton Act. Antitrust law is a bit complex, but TLDR is that those would be apples and oranges situations.

#10     Apr 13, 2020
    vanzandt likes this.