Predicting tomorrow’s trading range

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Joe Ross, Jun 6, 2006.

1. cnms2

cnms2

In long run, if you constantly select better than 50% odds trades your bottom line will look better.

A couple of questions:
    - From what markets was this data collected?
    - How do you suggest using it?

#21     Jun 6, 2006
  2. fletch2

fletch2

I have one question for you, then:

If you cannot predict that you will have an opportunity to sell a long higher or cover a short lower, with a net positive expectation, why do you ever enter a trade?

As for me, I will continue to predict that the markets will behave as such that I will make money on average when I enter a trade. To enter a trade otherwise seems odd, to say the least.

Buy and hold investing is making a prediction. A prediction that markets go up over long time periods.

"Trend following" is making a prediction. A prediction that market action will have momentum leading to profitable exit points.

"Mean reversion" strategies make a prediction. A prediction that market action will be mean-reverting.

Every rational way to enter a trade involves a prediction. Anyone who says it doesn't is confused.

Fletch

#22     Jun 6, 2006
  3. I enter a trade because my system RESPONDS to market conditions and tells me it's time to enter based on the data it has.

#23     Jun 7, 2006
  4. Are you the same ledgendary Joe Ross that frequently posts on Moneytec :eek:

#24     Jun 7, 2006
  5. This is true sometimes. Do you know the conditions under which your statement is false ?

#25     Jun 7, 2006
  6. There you go again.....:D

Joe Ross gives some "ODDS" and you guy go nuts trying to debunk anything and everything. then some say it is so simple it is useless, i assume overcomplicating is a better road to travel. LOL

If half of you dips even ever traded at all you would show some respect for a trader that has been there. Sure Joe has something to sell. but he also has some great knowledge up in the cage od experience.

lighten up, maybe you guys might learn a thing or two.........:cool: :)

#26     Jun 7, 2006
  7. If you think the following is useful:

"About 11% of the time, there will be a higher high and a lower low (outside bar)."

well.....

#27     Jun 7, 2006
  8. fletch2

fletch2

With no prediction as to whether the market will offer a profitable exit within your acceptable risk? Hmm. You might want to look into that. Most people are trying to make money with their trades.

I really shouldn't bother with your crowd, however, as it seems you're just intent on playing silly semantics games, and furthermore, that you have no idea what it means to make a probabilistic prediction.

Fletch

#28     Jun 7, 2006
  9. cnms2

cnms2

I didn't intend to refer to the expectancy calculation. Is this why you asked? I just wanted to say that constantly taking better odds trades and passing on riskier ones should be common sense.

#29     Jun 7, 2006
  10. 4 out of 5 dentists choose Trident

#30     Jun 7, 2006