Predicting markets - impossible

Discussion in 'Trading' started by torontoman, Jul 24, 2005.

1. torontoman

I make money and my 'predictions' are wrong the majority of the time... go figure :cool:

Candle

#51     Jul 25, 2005
  2. So you probably have a lousy cristal ball and are a very good gambler.
    :)

#52     Jul 25, 2005
  3. Or maybe I simply manage my losing and winning positions effectively :D

#53     Jul 25, 2005
  4. I am taking a shot here but I think he is refering to Disposition effect. Ie individuals are more loss/risk averse when facing positive outcomes and risk seeking when facing negative outcomes. The explanations for this are limited: status que bias, decision regret therios etc.

If you want to test this out ask a non-trading friend what would he rather choose a $10 dollar loss or a gamble with 65-35 odds that you loose $20 or loose $5. My "bet" is he will chose the gamble. An experienced trader should (fill in the blanks) (of course this is simplistic).

Swiftmike

#54     Jul 25, 2005
  5. dis

dis

Predicting the market's direction is, no doubt, possible. However, making money off such predictions requires solid money management skills.

#55     Jul 25, 2005
  6. I've always found myself to be bad predicting things (baseball, weather or my wife's mood). So the best thing I can do is to believe in my trading system and follow it. Most of the best trades I've made where those in which I was bearish against it.

Not even Tom Cruise can predict the Financial Markets, there are so many things involved that it is impossible to make consistent good predictions.

#56     Jul 25, 2005
  7. The better the predictions, the lesser the importance of good money management.

#57     Jul 25, 2005
  8. BSAM

BSAM

Couldn't 'uv said it better myself.:cool:

#58     Jul 25, 2005