Pre-Market Options Trading?

Discussion in 'Options' started by surfer25, Dec 7, 2012.

1. surfer25

surfer25

I don't get any time and sales, but I see an active market depth in some options pre-market. When does the trading actually begin?
    Thanks.

2. 1245

No option may open until the stock starts trading on the primary exchange after 9:30am ET. So you are just seeing pre-market interest from market makers on some exchanges for the open.

3. surfer25

surfer25

Thanks. What does pre-market interest actually mean since no trades can take place?

4. 1245

Those are closing quotes except in those options that trade until 4:15 like SPX. Equity options stop when the market closes. Basically, the OCC says options can't trade unless the underlying is open. So, even if a stock stops trading, the options must stop.

5. surfer25

surfer25

Well, that is the thing... The quotes are changing in the pre-market and are different than the closing quotes. (But no time and sales).

6. Quote from 1245:

Mind if I ask why you left the number 3 out of your name?
    Have you ever thought of changing your name to some other numbers?
    How about 4567?
    How about 5678?
    How about 6789?

You'll thank me later...... Monk

7. 1245

I was an AMEX market maker. My badge was 1245.

8. 1245

Yes, the pre-market quotes change as pre-market underlying prices change. These are just indications of interest and no one is trading at this time. That's why there are no time and sales on options outside regular trading hours.

9. If detective Monk had been given that badge number, he would have resigned from the force.

10. surfer25

surfer25

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

#10     Dec 8, 2012