Practicing mindfulness & meditation

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Golden Retriever Trading, Jan 5, 2017.

1. As many successful traders may be aware, cognitive dissonance plays a role in bad trading practices. When one is taking a trade and it goes against them, some people may have the tendency to try and convince themselves to stick to their trade. If for example, they are long a market, they will filter out any bearish information and only focus on the bullish reasons why they made the trade, leading to their demise, often martingaling (can martingale be a verb?) their position as they perceive a better buying opportunity, and that the market is "wrong".

I imagine practicing mindfulness can help deter this kind of behavior. I have recently started it and have seen some results, though perhaps it could be a placebo effect.

Does anyone have any thoughts, opinions on this? Does anyone practice it? How effective is it?

2. big mac

big mac

ALL trades are against ones position once taken by virtue of the commish. Stop yourself out.:D

3. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

You should learn more about "behavior finance". You'll then realize all the things that traders do (cognitive) to sabotage performance...many financial corporations are starting to spend a lot of money in this area. I haven't looked into practicing mindfulness.

4. It's definitely will help you to make clearer, less emotional decisions.

Zr1Trader likes this.
  5. speedo

speedo

Meditation is good for all aspects of your life. Clearing the mind is difficult but that's the practice.

Zr1Trader likes this.
  6. Overnight

Overnight

Yes.

7. It think it makes sense! Trading can be stressful and tiring at times, but meditation canmake one come out of it feeling refreshed.

8. water7

water7

you cant practice mindfulness
    its either you are or you are not

having a clear (unconditioned) mind is always good for trading, as for everything in life..
    :]

9. Truly it is. It's became so popular right now.

10. motif

motif

The old Chicago pit traders would laugh at this discission.

#10     Jan 6, 2017
    murray t turtle likes this.