Powerline

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Daal, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Daal

Daal

Does anyone use this technology? Seems pretty cool but I wonder if its reliable or if it works in every home

2. 1245

Not as good as direct connection, but works well.

3. Can you recommend any specific hardware? I can't run Cat5 throughout the house and the wifi to a couple of the bedrooms is running at only 20Mbps.

4. 1245

5. ofthomas

ofthomas

are your walls made of cinder block or brick? do you have ceiling molding's on the walls? curious to know why you can run cable....

6. The house is ~5k feet and essentially a ranch with a drop-off. The lower level is cut into the hill-side. My trading rig is on Cat5. I am talking about connecting the XBOX and PS3s for the kids.

7. I use sling box power line setup..it works fantastic.. one plug in basement via router , the other plugged in spare room second floor..to sling box. You can plug in any network device , you will get high speed wired.

8. I have a Linksys PLSK400 set. Throughput is 21Mbps, but mine are plugged into surge protectors and would probably get higher throughput if they were plugged directly into the wall outlets. (But if I did that, they might get destroyed during power spikes. I lose a power strip or two every year due to storms.) They do encryption, in case you have untrusted neighbors using the same electrical circuit.

9. 1245

I'm surprised it works that way.

#10     Apr 13, 2013