Power Trading(electricity market)

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by ggoyal, Dec 31, 2007.

1. ggoyal

ggoyal

anyone else?

#21     Jan 2, 2008
  2. On ICE I was told by one of their reps 100MM. This was physical, not financial.

#22     Jan 2, 2008
  3. sounds like he's after women, but he needs the money to get power

#23     Jan 2, 2008
  4. FWIW,

PJM margin varies by tier...6 to 13K for non-members trading the JM on NYMEX. The contract is based on 2.5 mega watts times the delivery rate of 16 hours times the peak days in a month, which varies between 19-23 days. The only 19 peak day this year will be Nov'08. 19 peak day tick size per contract is $38 bones and up to $46 on a 23 peak day month.

A nickel a megawatt.

Prebon and Zone Energy service smaller traders along with the ususal suspects like Man, Refco. ABN is also committed to the sector.

This beast gaps, it is like trading a real thin stock like Allegany (Y), 5 points is common between trades. A couple of hundred bones +/- per contract per day is a range one could expect to see. Trading 3-5 contracts is a good business. You can see the ISO expected peak usage load graph depending on the grid, for example in California http://www.caiso.com/outlook/SystemStatus.html

#24     Jan 2, 2008
  5. On the Ice today the range was about $34 . 800 MW per contract for a grand total of $27.2k . This thing can put you in your place real fast thats for sure..

I trade a product similar to JD, not JM.

#25     Jan 2, 2008
  6. Ggoyal - Sent you a message

#26     Jan 3, 2008
  7. Can 'retailers' trade electricity?

#27     Jan 3, 2008
  8. LOL, I actually know someone who actually tried to trade them from Enron. The spread you guys gave was so insane that it made absolutely no sense even if the guy was to be on the right side.

Suffice to say, I was not too surprised at his story.

#28     Jan 3, 2008
  9. ggoyal

ggoyal

wow, what's not traded now. I won't be surprised if some years down the road water is traded.

#29     Jan 3, 2008
  10. Oh, it will be. We've got all the fresh water here in Canada, too :p

#30     Jan 3, 2008