Power Law and Fibonacci from Sornette and Bouchaud

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by harrytrader, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Physics is actually a very weird and wacky science. You might pick up a copy of "The Elegant Universe" if you are not convinced.

But you are right - physics and trading are two completely separate disciplines, although you might find that ideas in one could lead to inspiration in another.

#21     Jan 29, 2004
  2. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

Many people will disagree with me but my opinion is that for typical traders - people trading average account sizes - you should use very simple trading models.

Simply watching volume and price, and your measure of volatility within these, combined with a couple of moving averages - and/or other measures of trend - is really all you need.

Just basic TA principles .....

#22     Jan 29, 2004
  3. CalTrader,

you are right of course - I am looking at 50,000ft issues that have little impact on day to day trading.

It is only when you manage an army of people and capital that they start to really matter.

Any pointers on papers would still be appreciate though.

#23     Jan 29, 2004
  4. manz66

manz66

#24     Jan 29, 2004
  5. #25     Jan 29, 2004
  6. manz66

manz66

link

http://www.nature.com/nsu/020923/020923-18.html

#26     Jan 30, 2004
  7. Thunderdog wrote:

> Physics is a pure science - a hard science. The study of markets
    > is a soft "science" - a social "science."

A lot of econophysics (e.g. quantum theory or chaos theory
    applied to markets) seems like quackery to me. Probably
    is.

But quants (mathematicians) doing market modeling are not
    doing anything less than subsuming technical analysis anyway:

http://www.ballarat.edu.au/ard/itms/CIAO/seekingARCpartners.pdf

thus showing that there is essentially no difference between
    quants and TAs (or even fundamentalists, in the form of
    rule-based systems). They are just more formal.

#27     Jan 30, 2004
  8. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

Exactly. There are a few ideas from the realm of Dynamical Systems theory and related areas that are useful but very few of these concepts can be applied directly to day to day trading - although there are many, many people running billions that would try to sell you otherwise ....

#28     Jan 30, 2004
  9. nitro

nitro

#29     Jan 30, 2004
  10. We are not talking about general (and fuzzy) quant models but about the Fib presence - about which many quants and others doubt. Also quants models are essential directly towards arbitrage which is very local in space and time and not really targeting prediction in large space and time.

#30     Jan 31, 2004